Owston, Leicestershire Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Billesdon|
|Parish registers: 1701|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1572|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester|
|Location of Archive|
|Leicestershire Record Office|
OUSTON, a village and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicester. The village stands on an affluent of the river Wreak, 2½ miles W N W of the boundary with Rutland, 5½ W by S of Oakham r. station, and 7½ S by E of Melton-Mowbray. 
The church seems to have been in good repair when the archdeacon made his visitation in 1776, but for some reason the parishioners went to 'extraordinary expenses' in 1791-3 to repair and almost rebuild the church. Lead rainwater heads and pipes have survived from the 18th-century restoration. In 1832 the building was said to be in a good state but had deteriorated by 1842 when there was a tree growing from the top of the tower, which was also cracked at its south-west angle. The large east window and most of the east wall of the church date from the late 19th century and the Perpendicular west window was probably restored c. 1864 when its memorial stained glass to Henry and Elizabeth Palmer was inserted. Most of the fittings date from 1860-1 when the church was restored under the direction of Henry Goddard of Leicester at a cost of £1,205. At this restoration the floor was relaid, the north aisle was re-roofed, windows were altered, and the pulpit, pews, screens, and a gallery were cleared away. Work on the tower included repairs to the bells, alterations of floor levels, and the completion of the spire.
There are wall tablets in the aisle to the Revd. Charles Dickinson (d. 1786), Edward Barnard of Kibworth Harcourt (d. 1816), and Thomas Cole (d. 1813). On the external face of the north wall are tablets to the Revd. Everard Breton (d. 1755) and the Revd. Joseph Cragg (d. 1827). Slabs in the aisle are to members of the Green, Barnard, and Cole families. Tablets in the nave include those to John Heycock (d. 1823) and his wife and to Richard Raworth (d. 1795). A portion of a slab with an indent for a brass is reset in a small stone building immediately west of the church.
There are 3 bells: (i) 1754, by Thomas Hedderly; (ii) 1699, by John Fawkes and Toby Norris; (iii) 1860, by John Taylor and Co. of Loughborough. (fn. 9) In 1860-1 the bells were recast and re-hung by John Taylor and Co. There is no ancient plate. The early parish registers cover the years 1753-73 for baptisms and burials and 1753-1810 for marriages.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Owston, Leicestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PC = Parish Chest - (£). Registers delivered by email.|
|Owston, Leicestershire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438742.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. Date accessed: 30 July 2013.
- From: 'Owston', A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 5: Gartree Hundred (1964), pp. 270-275. British HistoryDate accessed: 19 May 2011.
- 'Leicestershire Parish Registers', Parish Chest, accessed 24 January 2014.