Paradise Valley Arizona Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Paradise Valley Family History Center is available to serve the community free of charge. The Center is open to the public and everyone is welcome.
We are located on the southeast corner of Shea Blvd and 36th Street. The entrance is found on the southeast corner of the building. Please see the yellow sign, pointing to the doorbell. Temple and Family History Consultants will be available for assistance.
Computers are free for public use in doing family history research through the familysearch.org portal. The familysearch.org portal offers online access to familysearch.org along with free access to many paid family history research websites. Microfilms and Microfiche may be rented from familysearch.org for a minimal fee and can be sent to our Center to be viewed for free on the Center's film machines on a first come, first served basis.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 2016 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Notes or Services
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 3601 E Shea Blvd Phoenix AZ 85028 United States
- Location Map
- Tuesday 9 am - 12 noon and 7pm - 9 pm
- Wednesday 9 am - 3 pm
- Thursday 9 am - 12 noon
2016 Holiday Schedule
Closed major holidays and summer vacation
- July 4th - July 29th
- November 21st - November 25th
- December 19th - December 30th.
- July 4th - July 29th
2016 Calendar and Events
Photo Party Family Nights:
Individual and group appointments are available by appointment.
Bring your family photos and documents to the PV Family History Center and scan them directly to your FamilySearch.org family tree in one step through the Center's direct link. We will show you how to label, tag, and link your photos and documents to the people on your family tree.
Group Activities for 8 - 12 year olds:
Activites for Achievement Day Girls and Cub Scout Groups by appointment. Pick from one of the following three following activities:
- Family Heritage Crests: Design and decorate "Shrinky Dink" family shield crests for a necklace charm or a neckerchief slide.
- Heritage Game Day: Play a Family History Catch Phrase game and Family History Relay game. Decorate Pioneer cookies.
- Family Tree Mobiles: Make and decorate a hanging mobile of the people and animals in your family.
A HERITAGE CELEBRATION:
Saturday, February 13th from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
Enjoy an entertaining family event with MUSIC, DANCE, and a HERITAGE PLAY. Bring your family's FAVORITE DESSERT (or a dessert from your family's country of origin) to share. Tables will be provided for any historic family TREASURES or PHOTOS you would like to display.
DISCOVERY DAY FAIR:
Saturday, August 27th from 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Our Discover Day Fair offers Free Family History Seminar Classes to the public. Classes are still to be determined. Class information and enrollment instructions will be available before summer. Please check back and the join us in learning about the new and exciting upgrades to family history research and programs.
Staff Inservice Meetings:
January 10th, April 10th, and August 14th from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Temple and Family History Consultant Training:
Visit the Paradise Valley Family History Center during our open hours for assistance or schedule an individual appointment for training as needed.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and many websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Our Patron Resources
2 computer labs, 1 micofilm room, 1 classroom with
- 7 desktop computers with FamilySearch Center Portal Internet Access
- 2 printers (One is also a scanner/copier which will connect directly to your familysearch.org account.)
- 3 microfilm machines
- 1 microfiche reader
- Internet Access with FREEaccess to Premium Online Portal websites, including Ancestry.com, Find My Past, My HeritageLibraryEdition.com, Newspaperacrchive.com, DigitalNewspapers.org, Fold3.com and much more.
- Temple and Family History Consultant volunteers to assist you.
Notes or Services
Planning a Successful Visit
If you are planning a visit to our center to begin your genealogy, write down and bring what you know about the family you wish to research such as their names, dates, and places. Decide on one research goal for each visit. Come early for a microfilm machine.
Resources in the Local Area
Mesa FamilySearch Library Website: Mesarfhc.org
Arizona Births and Deaths Online: Genealogy.az.gov
Family History Research Wiki: Familysearch.org Wiki
Family History Centers Location Finder:'' Familysearch.org/locations
Volunteer at the Center
Please contact our Center at 602-953-8160 for information on volunteering.