Pelham's Company, Virginia Horse Artillery
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Organized during the spring of 1861.
- This unit was assigned to J. Pelham's, R. F. Beckham's, and J. Breathed's Battalion, Army of Northern Virginia.
- It fought in many battles from Williamsburg to Cold Harbor, moved with Early to the Shenandoah Valley, and was involved in the Appomattox Campaign.
- The battery totaled 141 men in April 1862, reported 2 casualties at Williamsburg and 6 at Chancellorsville, and had 5 officers and 101 men engaged at Gettysburg.
- It was included in the surrender on April 9, 1865, but only 2 men were present.
- Captains James Breathed, P. P. Johnston, William M. McGregor, and John Pelham were its commanders.
- Also called Stuart Horse Artillery-1st Battery
Atkinson, J.J., Lt. Barnett, James Bernard, D.W. Bryant, James C. Connor, Thomas Costigin, Dorsey Evers, Wm. Johnston, Win. C. McDonald, W. Samuels, Benj. F., 1st Lt. Wilson, S.L.