Penderyn, Breconshire Genealogy
PENDERIN, otherwise PEN-Y-DAREN (PEN-DERYN), a parish, comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, in the union of MerthyrTydvil, hundred of Devynock, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 7 miles distant (W. N. W.) from Merthyr-Tydvil. The name of this place, signifying literally "the head of the rock," is descriptive of its situation at the head of a rock of excellent limestone, from which the large iron-works in the neighbourhood are supplied. The parish is situated at the southern extremity of the county, bordering upon Glamorganshire, from which it is separated on the south-east by the Tâf Vawr river. The church, dedicated to St. Cynog, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a massive tower at the west end; it is situated on the summit of the rocky eminence which gives name to the parish. There are two places of worship for Baptists; and two Sunday schools are held.
PENDERYN, a parish in the hundred of Devynnock, county Brecon, 8 miles N.W. of Merthyr Tydfil, and 16 from Brecon, its post town. It is situated between the rivers Taff and Hepste. For more information see Penderyn, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 299-308. Adapted. Date accessed: 30 January 2014.