Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Pendleton County, West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pendleton County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 4, 1787|
|Address|| Pendleton County Courthouse|
Franklin, WV 26807
Pendleton County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 4.1 Populated Places
- 4.2 Neighboring Counties
- 4.3 Resources
- 4.3.1 Cemeteries
- 4.3.2 Census
- 4.3.3 Court
- 4.3.4 Genealogy
- 4.3.5 Land
- 4.3.6 Local Histories
- 4.3.7 Maps
- 4.3.8 Military
- 4.3.9 Naturalization
- 4.3.10 Newspapers
- 4.3.11 Probate
- 4.3.12 Research Guides
- 4.3.13 Taxation
- 4.3.14 Vital Records
- 4.4 Societies and Libraries
- 4.5 Family History Centers
- 4.6 Web Sites
- 4.7 References
Pendleton County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853
Marriage records from 1800
Probate and land records from 1780
A history of Pendleton County, West Virginia Google ebook
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1924 A fire burned the courthouse, but no records were lost.
Places / Localities
- Augusta County, Virginia
- Highland County, Virginia
- Rockingham County, Virginia
- Obituary Search Engline, Pendleton County, West Virginia
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|WVGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Historical Records of Pendleton County, West Virginia CDs by Marsha L. Fuller, 8 CDs (19th Century Marriage Records 1826-1857, County Court Record Book 1788, Court Record Indexes 1788-1911, Letters and Photographs).
- Fuller, Marsha Lynne, CGRS. Family Bible Records in the Washington County Free Library, Hagerstown, Maryland. Westminster, MD: Willow Bend Books, Heritage Books, 2003.
- Fuller, Marsha Lynne. African American Manumissions of Washington County, Maryland. Westminster, MD: Willow Bend Books, Heritage Books, 1998.
- Fuller, Marsha Lynne. Naturalizations of Washington County, Maryland, Prior to 1880. Westminster, MD: Willow Bend Books, Heritage Books, 1998.
- Fuller, Marsha Lynne, CGRS. St. Mary’s Catholic Church Records: 1818-1900, Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. Westminster, MD: Willow Bend Books, Heritage Books, 2001. Heritage Books
- Butcher - Brown, Nancy Clark. "Are You Related To...Loretta Webb Lynn," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 12, No. 4 (Dec. 2007):4-22. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 12.
- Coberly - Harter, Mary. "James Cunningham of Western Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):9-16; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):109-116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 29 (1985).
- Cunningham - Harter, Mary. "James Cunningham of Western Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):9-16; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):109-116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 29 (1985).
- Harman - Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Harper - Rutherford, William Kenneth and Anna Clay Rutherford. Genealogical History of Our Ancestors. Revised Edition. 2 vols. Lexington, Mo., 1977. FHL Book 929.273 R933ra 1977 v. 1-v. 2.
- McCoy - Forbes, Amanda C. "Oliver Family Records, Augusta County," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 20, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1982):145-148. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Skidmore - Skidmore, Warren. Thomas Skidmore (Scudamore), 1605-1684, of Westerleigh, Gloucestershire, and Fairfield, Connecticut; His Ancestors and His Descendants to the Ninth Generation. 1980. FHL Book 929.273 Sk32sk; 1985 edition: FHL Book 929.273 Sk32sk 1985; 1998 edition: FHL CD-ROM.
- Van Deventer - Vandevander, Paul J. and Ida Christobelle Van Deventer. The Van Deventer Family, 1550-1977. Parsons, W.Va.: McClain Print. Co., 1978. FHL Book 929.273 V286v.
- Van Deventer - Arthaud, John Bradley and Catherine DeEtte Arthaud. The Mary Coberly and William Van Deventer Family of Pendleton and Randolph Counties, West Virginia, An Annotated Index to Paul J. Vandevander's The Van Deventer Family 1550-1977. Columbia, Mo., 1988. FHL Book 929.273 V286v index.
- The Dyer settlement, the Fort Seybert massacre : Fort Seybert, West Virginia at Ancestry.com ($)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 973 X2pc 1840. See Virginia, Western District, Pendleton County on page 135.
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Book 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.
War of 1812
Pendleton County men served in the 46th Regiment.
Regiments. Service men in Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pendleton County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 18th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company E.
- - 25th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Heck's) (Confederate). Company E (Pendleton Rifles), Company F (Franklin Guards), and Company K (South Branch Riflemen).
- - 62nd Regiment, Virginia Mounted Infantry (Confederate). Companies C, D, F (Franklin Guards), I (Pendleton Rifles), and K.
Records, histories, and societies exist:
- 1861-1865 - West Virginia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- Sons of Confederate Veterans, Brig. Gen. James Boggs' Camp # 1706
Dewayne Borror, Commander
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 7th WV Infantry Camp #7
P.O. Box 622
Franklin, WV 26807
P.O. Box 906
Franklin, WV 26807-0906
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
Pendleton County, West Virginia 1788 - 1970 Will Books
West Virginia Will Books
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Pendleton County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1976):119-123. FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- 1792, 1802 - Images of the 1792 and 1802 Personal Property Tax Lists of Pendleton County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available to browse online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
- 1815 -Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL Books 975 E4w v. 5-v. 6. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Pendleton County is included in Vols. 5 and 6.]
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- 1791 - 1820 - Pendleton County Marriage Bonds by Eric Hedrick. 4 CDs. Online bookstore ($).
- 1799 - 1970 - West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1799-1970 - free.
- 1865 - Pendleton County Birth and Death Register 1865 by Eric Hedrick - free.
- 1866 - 1925 - Pendleton County Offical Bonds (including Bastardy Bonds) 1866-1925 by Eric Hedrick. CD. Online bookstore ($).
Societies and Libraries
Pendleton County Historical Society
Post Office Box 293
Franklin, West Virginia 26807
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Pendleton County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Cyndi's List
- Family Links
- Fort Seybert Heritage Education Association
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Pendleton County Links
- Pendleton County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- History and Genealogy History and Genealogy
- West Virginia Mountain Highlands
- Eric Hedrick WV Research
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pendleton County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 167. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.
- Roger U. Delauter, 18th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1985). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 18.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 25th Virginia Infantry and 9th Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1990). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 71.
- Roger U. Delauter, 62nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 41.