Penick's Company, Virginia Light Artillery
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Organized during April, 1862.
- For a time, part of this company served with the 59th Virginia Regiment.
- It was assigned to J. J. Garnett's, C. Richardson's, and W. T. Poague's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia.
- The unit served with the army from Fredericksburg to Cold Harbor, was active in the defense of Petersburg, and ended the war at Appomattox.
- At Gettysburg 4 officers and 86 men saw action, and during April, 1864, there were 3 officers and 72 men present.
- That September about half (30) the battery was sick, and in April, 1865, it surrendered 2 officers and 68 men.
- Captains John W. Lewis and Nathan Penick.
- AKA - Lewis' Battery or Pittsylvania Artillery