Penmon, Anglesey Genealogy
PENMON (PEN-MON), a parish, in the poor law union of Bangor and Beaumaris, hundred of Tyndaethwy, county of Anglesey, North Wales, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from the town of Beaumaris; containing Puffin Island. The name of this place, signifying "the head of Mona," is derived from its situation in the eastern end of the Isle of Anglesey (anciently called Mona), on a promontory boldly projecting into the Irish Sea. The church, dedicated to St. Seiriol, and originally the church of a priory situated here, was a regular cruciform structure, the northern transept of which has disappeared, at what period cannot now be determined. Here are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
PENMON, a parish in the hundred of Tindaethwy, county Anglesey, 3 miles N. of Beaumaris, its post town, and 6 from Bangor. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the coast opposite Puffin Island. There are remains of a priory, founded in the 6th century by Enion Frenhin. On Ynys Seiriol, or Puffin Island, are similar ruins, probably the original site of the aforementioned priory. For more information see Penmon, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 29 Aug 2014.