Pentraeth, Anglesey Genealogy
PENTRAETH (PEN-TRAETH), a parish, in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, union and county of Anglesey, North Wales, 5 miles (N. W.) from Beaumaris. The name of this place, signifying "the head or point of the sands," is derived from its situation at the head of a small bay of the Irish Sea, called Traeth Côch, or "the red sands," and sometimes Red Wharf Bay. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a small neat edifice, put into a complete state of repair in 1821. The name of the village of Pentraeth is more properly Llanvair-Bettws-Geraint, and it is therefore thought that before the erection of the present church, here was a church in honour of Geraint, an early British saint. There are places of worship for dissenters.
PENTRAETH, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 5 miles N.W. of Beaumaris, its post town, and 7 from Bangor. The village is situated on the banks of a rivulet which flows into Red Wharf Bay, about 1 mile N., on the shores of which are found a rare variety of shells. For more information see Pentraeth, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464298.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 29 Aug 2014.