Pepin County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Pepin County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pepin County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||Feburary 25, 1858|
|Address|| Pepin County Courthouse|
740 7th Ave West
Dunrand, WI 54736-1628
Pepin County Courthouse
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Pepin County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Pepin County Courthouse
740 7th Ave West
Dunrand, WI 54736-1628
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Pepin County Biographies USGenWeb Archives
- List of Pepin County Cemeteries - with some links to burial lists. WIGenWeb project
- Round Hill Cemetery USGenWeb Archives
- Pepin County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1860 - Explanation of 1860 Census Images for Pepin Co. USGenWeb Archives
- 1860 - 1860 Census Images for Pepin Co USGenWeb Archives
- 1870 - 1870 Census for Stockholm USGenWeb Archives
- 1910 - 1910 Census Heads of Households, Stockholm USGenWeb Archives
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
- Old Settlers Roster up to 1863 USGenWeb Archives
- Patron's Directory - Pepin Township - 1878 Atlas USGenWeb Archives
- Patron's Directory - Stockholm Township - 1878 Atlas USGenWeb Archives
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881 (Pepin Co. portion only) - USGenWeb Archives
- Historical & Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley, 1891-2 (Pepin Co. portion only) - USGenWeb Archives
- History of Buffalo & Pepin Counties Wisconsin, 1919 (Pepin Co. portion only) - USGenWeb Archives
Land and Property
- Land Patents Database - Surnames A - M USGenWeb Archives
- Land Patents Database - Surnames N - Z USGenWeb Archives
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Pepin County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Pepin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Pepin County.
- 1883 List of Pensioners or dependents, Pepin Co., WI USGenWeb Archives
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Naturalization Index for Pepin County USGenWeb Archives
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Durand Community Library
604 7th Avenue East
Durand, WI 54736
Phone Number: 715-672-8730
Pepin Public Library
510 2nd St.
Po Box 248
Pepin, WI 54759
Phone Number: 715-442-4932
University Archives/Area Research Center
Robert S. Swanson Learning Center
Room 321 RSSLC
315 Tenth Ave. East
Menomonie, WI 54751
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Pepin County Historical Society
315 W. Madison St.
Durand, WI, 54736
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Pepin County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Pepin County Archives USGenWeb Archives
- Pepin County WIGenWeb project
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 758 Pepin, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Handybook" defined multiple times with different content