Plainfield was chartered on November 10, 1797 by the Vermont Legislature. The town was originally named St. Andrews Gore. The town was renamed Plainfield in November of 1797.
The principal village of Plainfield actually lies partly in Marshfield. Due south, near the Barre town line, is a village known as Plainfield Springs. Plainfield had a population of of 1,243 at the 2010 census.  
- The Town of Plainfield, Vermont : a pictorial history, 1870-1940, Plainfield Historical Society, (1993) - find this book in a library.
- The history of the towns of Plainfield, Roxbury and Fayston, Abby Maria Hemenway, 1828-1890 - view a digital copy of this book online.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Plainfield is Washington.
Washington District Probate Court
10 Elm St. #3
Montpelier, VT 05602
Phone: (802) 828-3405
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Plainfield. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Washington County, website at this link.
- Bisson Barre Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Kinney Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Plainfield Center Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Plainfield Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital Records, 1897 -1998, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Plainfield Town Clerk's Office. These include Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1857-1998; index to births and deaths, 1762-1902, Town records, 1762-1908, and Deeds, 1793-1854.
Plainfield Town Clerk's Office:
149 Main Street
PO Box 217
Plainfield, VT 05667
Phone: (802) 454-8461
Libraries and Historical Societies
Cutler Memorial Library
151 High St.
Plainfield, VT 05667
Phone: (802) 454-8504
- About Plainfield, VT - Virtual Vermont Internet Magazine - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/plainfield.html#about
- Town of Plainfield - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/WashingtonPlainfield.html