Pleasant Grove, Utah LDS Wards and Branches

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Utah Church Records go to Utah County Church Records go to Pleasant Grove, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches

Pleasant Grove, originally settled as Battle Creek in 1852, has grown from a single branch to nine stakes.

Church Units and Boundaries

  • Stakes: Utah Stake (1852-1901), Alpine Stake (1901-1928), Timpanogos Stake (1928-)
  • Pleasant Grove Branch/Ward (1852-1890): the area surrounding Pleasant Grove, roughly from the mouth of Provo Canyon to the mouth of American Fork Canyon, bounded west by American Fork Ward (exact boundaries uncertain but possibly about 1800 West)
  • Pleasant Grove 1st Ward/Pleasant Grove Ward (1890-1909): all of Pleasant Grove City: south to what is now 1000 South, north to 8th North (now 1100 North), east to the mountains, and extended west to American Fork Ward (boundary location uncertain).
  • Pleasant Grove 3rd/Manila Ward (1890-): North of Pleasant Grove City (8th North, now 1100 North) to the mouth of American Fork Canyon, west to American Fork (location uncertain, but possibly the rim of the bench).[1]
  • Pleasant Grove 1st Ward (1909-): Southern third of Pleasant Grove City. South to city limits (now 1100 North), east to the mountains, north to Main Street (now 100 South), west to American Fork 1st Ward (about 1800 East?)
  • Pleasant Grove 2nd Ward (1909-): Northwest third of Pleasant Grove City. Extended south to Main Street (now 100 South), east to Center Street (now 300 E), north to the city limits (now 1100 N), west to American Fork (about 1800 East?)
  • Pleasant Grove 3rd Ward (1909-): Northeast third of the city. Extended south to Main Street (now 100 South), east to the mountains, north to the city limits (now 1100 N), west to Center Street (now 300 E).

Obtain the Records

History Timeline

This timeline (arranged by year) includes events that affected records, record-keeping, and movements of Mormons in this area.

  • February 1852: Pleasant Grove Branch is organized as part of the Utah Stake. It may have also been called Battle Creek Branch.[2]
  • December 1853: A bishop is ordained, but it is probably still a branch with both a presidency and bishopric[3]. When it officially became a ward is unclear.
  • 20 April 1890: Pleasant Grove Ward is divided into three wards: Pleasant Grove 1st Ward in the city, 2nd Ward south of the city, 3rd Ward north of the city. By 1900, the 2nd Ward has been renamed the Lindon Ward, and the 3rd Ward has been renamed the Manila Ward, and the 1st Ward is again called the Pleasant Grove Ward.
  • 13 January 1901: The three wards are assigned to the newly organized Alpine Stake.
  • 16 May 1909: The Pleasant Grove Ward is again divided into three wards: the 1st Ward in the south, the 2nd Ward in the northwest, and the 3rd ward in the northeast.
  • 1 July 1928: The Pleasant Grove and Manila Wards are assigned to the newly organized Timpanogos Stake.

References

  1. Adams, Effie W. (1990) Remembering Manila: Some history and stories compiled for the centennial reunion
  2. Huff, Emma Noakes (1947) Memories that live: Utah County centennial history
  3. Journal History of the LDS Church, 9/27/1852

Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p 662-663.

  • Online through BYU Books. (Free) In the Text search box, type the town or unit name and click Go. Select page numbers (tiny) at the right to see the page.
  • Also available through Ancestry.com ($).