Pleasants County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Pleasants County, West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pleasants County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 29, 1851|
|County Seat||Saint Mary's|
|Address|| Pleasants County Courthouse|
01 Court Lane #101
Saint Mary's, WV 26170
Pleasants County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 County Information
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 4.1 Populated Places
- 4.2 Neighboring Counties
- 4.3 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, and probate from 1853 Land records from 1851 Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and court records <ref name="HBG">Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pleasants County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002
Pleasants County, West Virginia Record Dates
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Pleasants County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1976):209-210. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
For tips on accessing Pleasants County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Regiments. Service men in Pleasants County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pleasants County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 20th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company G.
- - 26th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company A.
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1853-1970 - free.
- Pleasants County WV Gen Web: The Pleasants County West Virginia website for US GenWeb is host to may excellent transcriptions of county records, including of Pleasants Co Birth Records from 1853-1891 from the LDS Family History Film #0163911, with only a couple of years missing
- There are also marriage records available, from 1853 to 1931, transcribed from both LDS film #0163911 and from courthouse record.
- Complying with the law enacted in 1853, Pleasants County deaths were recorded and transcriptions are available at this site also.
- The West Virginia State Archivesalso has a searchable database of the actual death certificate images available for deaths occuring during the years 1917-1919, and 1921-1957 for Pleasants County.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Pleasants County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Pleasants County WV GenWeb
- Cindi's List
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.