Pointe a la Hache, Louisiana
Pointe à la Hache is an unincorporated village and place in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, United States. Located on the east bank of the Mississippi River, the village has been the seat for Plaquemines Parish since the formation of the parish.
Native American settlement in the area goes back to unknown dates. The earliest European settlement in the area was by the French about 1700. The name Pointe à la Hache is French for cape of the axe.
Plaquemines Parish was one of the original 19 divisions of the Territory of Orleans established in 1807; after Louisiana achieved U.S. statehood in 1812 one of the original state parishes.