The east side of Poland, Maine was originally part of the Pejepscot Purchase.  Poland was first organized as the larger Bakerstown Plantation by the Massachusetts General Court in 1765. Later, it was incorporated as the Town of Poland in 1795. Poland set off land to form Minot in 1802; annexed land from Thompson Pond Plantation in 1830; annexed land from part of the 80-rod strip ((Gloversborough?) the remainder going to Raymond) in 1838; set off land to Danville (now part of Auburn) in 1852; set off land to Otisfield and to Casco in 1858; and set off land to form part of Mechanic Falls in 1893.
County boundary changes: Androscoggin County was set off from Cumberland County in 1854.
Libraries and Historical Societies