Port MacDonnell - South Australia
About Port MacDonnell
Port MacDonnell is a small port about 477 kilometres (296 mi) southeast of Adelaide and 28 kilometres (17 mi) south of Mount Gambier, in South Australia. Port MacDonnell is the southernmost town in South Australia. At the 2006 census, the town had a population of 623. The area was originally inhabited by the Bungandidj Aborigines.
The first Europeans to see the area were led by explorer Lieutenant James Grant in HMS Lady Nelson on 3 December 1800. In 1860 the area was proclaimed an official port, was given a name, and was surveyed. It is named after Sir Richard Graves MacDonnell who was Governor of South Australia from 1855 to 1862.
Port MacDonnell is in the District Council of Grant local government area, the South Australian House of Assembly electoral district of Mount Gambier and the Australian House of Representatives Division of Barker.