Portugal, Viseu, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Portugal, Viseu, Catholic Church Records, 1523-1989 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Portugese Republic|
|Location of Viseu, Portugal|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Paroquiais da Igreja Católica da Diocese de Viseu, Portugal|
|Viseu District Archives|
- 1 Image Visibility
- 2 What is in the Collection?
- 3 Collection Contents
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 For Help Reading These Records
- 6 Tips to Keep in Mind
- 7 What if I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For?
- 8 Known Issues with This Collection
- 9 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
- 10 Citing this Collection
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The Portugal, Viseu, Catholic Church Records collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization(s). The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you.
What is in the Collection?
This collection of church records includes the years 1523 to 1989.
The records included in this collection are those of baptisms, marriages, and burial/deaths from parishes in the in the Diocese of Viseu, Portugal. These parish records have been preserved relatively well. Some of the older registers appear to have some physical damage; therefore, some data may be difficult to read or some even may be lost. However, in general, they are in good condition for extracting genealogical information. These records are written in Portuguese. Earlier records are handwritten in narrative style; newer records are handwritten in formatted registers.
Parish priests performed the ordinances for baptisms, marriages, deaths, and burials, and the other holy sacraments in the jurisdiction of their assigned parish or parishes. All the original parish records were kept in the parish archive under the custody of the priest. However, a duplicate of these registers was regularly sent to the diocesan archive where the records were centralized and kept at a higher state of preservation.
Catholic Church parish registers were created to record the church sacraments of baptism, marriage, death, burial, and other ordinances performed on parishioners by an authorized priest in his area of jurisdiction.
Catholic Church parish records are a reliable source for doing genealogical research in Viseu, Portugal, before 1911, when the civil registration was implemented. For records after 1911, it is suggested that you research both the civil registry and the church records to verify information.
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Portugal, Viseu, Catholic Church Records, 1523-1989.|
Baptism records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place baptism
- Child's name and gender
- Child's birth date, time, and place
- Parents' names, civil status, and origin
- Godparents’ names and their civil status
Marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Groom's name and age
- Groom's occupation, civil status, residence, and origin
- Names of groom's parents, their civil status and residence
- Bride's name and age
- Bride's occupation, civil status, and origin
- Names of bride's parents
- Names of witnesses, their occupation, civil status, and residence
Death or burial records usually contain the following information:
- Name, age, and gender of deceased
- Date and place of death
- Civil status, residence, and origin of deceased
- Name of spouse, if married
- Parents' names and their origin
- Sometimes, a note regarding a testament (will)
- Burial information
How Do I Search the Collection?
This section provides information on how to search the collection, what to do with information once found, some tips on how to find records, and what to do if no record is found.
'To browse the collection by image
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "District" category
⇒Select the "Municipality" category
⇒Select the "Civil Parish" category
⇒Select the "Parish" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Portuguese. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Portuguese Genealogical Word List
- Portuguese Letter-writing Guide
- Learning Center Resources:
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
What if I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For?
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the records of nearby localities (or military unties, counties, parishes, etc.).
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Portugal, Viseu, Catholic Church Records, 1523-1989." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing Viseu District Archives.