Poyntington, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Poyntington, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Sherborne|
|Parish registers: 1618|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
POYNTINGTON or POINTINGTON, a parish in the district of Sherborne and county of Somerset; adjacent to Dorset, 2 miles W S W of Milborne-Port railway station, and 3 N N E of Sherborne. Post-town, Sherborne. 
POINTINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Sherborne, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Sherborne.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Poyntington, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|POYNTINGTON PARISH Online Records|
Poyntington's parish registers are held at the Dorset History Centre.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474598.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 09 July 2103.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 578-586. Date accessed and adapted: 17 April 2013.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 24 June 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.