Preston England Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Preston England Family History Centre is located on the Preston England Temple site, adjacent to Junction 8 of the M61 at Chorley, Lancashire. It is staffed by members of the Chorley England Stake.
- (Link to map using Googleor other map sites) Location Map]
- Temple Way Hartwood Green Chorley England PR6 7EQ United Kingdom
- Once on the Temple site, the Family History Centre is signposted and there is plenty of free parking, including dedicated disabled parking,in front of the Family HIstory Centre and at busy times on other areas of the site.
- +44 0 125-722 6145
- Mon: 10:00am-2:00pm.
- Tue and Thur: 10:00am-5:00pm.
- Wed and Fri: 10:00am-9:00pm.
- Sat: 10:00am-4:00pm.
We shut in line with the Preston Temple maintenance schedule and over Christmas and New Year:
- 1 Calendar and Events
- 2 Centre Resources
- 3 Centre Services
- 4 Staff Research Specialties
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 (Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
- 8 Volunteer at the Centre
- 9 (Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
Calendar and Events
Family History Fair, Saturday 17th May 2014, 10am - 5pm
FREE Event, Come along and get started in discovering your family history.
Chorley England Stake Centre, Temple Way, Chorley, PR6 7EQ
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: Films and fiche are now ordered online by patrons for viewing at Family History Centres. If you wish to view a film at the Preston England Family History Centre please ensure you state "Preston" when ordering your film.
- There is a selection of books and publications for loan/perusal. There is also a cabinet of miscellaneus fiche including the 1881 Scottish Census and the Scottish Old Parish Records.
FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the Centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment: The Family History Centre has 10 computers, 5 film readers and 5 fiche readers. It is best to ring in advance to book a session.
We are happy to take Group bookings from any organisations wishing to organise a research or indexing event. We can cater for children, youth and adults.
Staff Research Specialties
We have a few Scottish members of staff who are experienced in Scottish research.
Most of our staff are experienced Indexers.
Resources in the Local Area
Nearby in Chorley is the Chorley Branch of the Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society, located at Astley Hall.
In Preston there is the Lancashire Records Office at Bow Lane.