Prowers County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to Prowers County, Colorado ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
Prowers County Courthouse
300 S Main Street
Lamar, CO 81052-2857
Prowers County Website
County Clerk has marriage, land and some death records 1889;
District Court has divoce and court records.
County Court has probate records.
Prowers County, Colorado Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The following are locations in Prowers County, Colorado:
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- Compilation of cemetery records including index from four cemeteries near Lamar, Prowers, Colorado FHL Collection
Sources for Prowers County Cemeteries
- Find-a-Grave.com, Prowers County Cemeteries
- USGenWeb Colorado Tombstone Transcription Project for Prowers County. Many or perhaps most of the gravestone photos associated with this site are copyrighted by the photographer. They may not be used for another site (like Ancestry.com, for example) without the permission of the photographer. Additionally, several of the links to cemeteries associated with this page are broken (update 1/2014).
Cemeteries in or near the town of Lamar
- Riverside Cemetery
For tips on accessing Prowers County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
- 1860-1940 Colorado Census Records from 1860 to 1940 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
Numerous records are available at Colorado Archives. To use this link scroll down the page to where it asks for Record Type. Click there and scroll down the list to the records you want and select. The next field asks for county. Select the county you want and then click on Search. You can narrow the search by adding the additional information it asks for.
- Bent and Prowers Counties (Colorado) directories FHL Collection
- Polk's Lamar (Prowers County, Colorado) city directory: including Prowers County residents and ranchers FHL Collection
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
- The homestead years: Prowers County, Colorado FHL Collection
Local histories are available for Prowers County, Colorado Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
- Prowers County history FHL Collection
Maps and Gazetteers
- 1889 Prowers County, Colorado land ownership map, 1889 FHL Collection
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Colorado - shows boundary changes for Colorado Counties
- Colorado Historical Boundary Changes - list of all boundary changes by county provided by Newberry Library
Naturalization and Citizenship
Colorado Newspapers Online
- Colorado Online Historical Newspapers online - in the Colorado Historic Newspaper Collection by the Colorado State Library
- Colorado Newspapers at Ancestry.com - ($)
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Colorado newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Colorado newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Colorado newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Colorado Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
For more information see Colorado Newspapers.
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
1942-1945 Colorado State Archives Index to the Prowers County Amache School Teachers and Personnel for the period 1942-1945. This is an Index to the records of the teachers who were approved and hired at the Center.
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
- 1853-2006 Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1859-1900 Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1864-1995 Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1900-1939 Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com — index $
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
- Inventory of the county archives of Colorado, no. 50, Prowers County (Lamar) FHL Collection
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Prowers County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
1880-1939 Divorce Index
1883-1900 Mine Accidents, Non - fatal
1936-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments
1966-1968 Vietnam Deaths
1933-1936 Prowers County Old Age Pensions
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Big Timbers Museum
Prowers County Historical Society
7515 U.S. Hwy 50
P. O. Box 929
Lamar, CO 81052
Prowers County Genealogical Society
407 E. Olive Street
Lamar, CO 81052
Hours: Tuesday - Friday 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m
- Prowers County CO Trails to the Past
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives (backup site)
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Prowers County, Colorado. Page 100 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 93.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Prowers County, Colorado," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prowers_County,_Colorado, accessed 18 May 2017.
- Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov