Pueblo Colorado Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Pueblo Colorado Family History Center has been very popular with local family history researchers since opening it's doors in the spring of 1983. It is available to serve members of the community free of charge. The Center is open to the public and all are encouraged to visit and let us help you find your family history!
- 1 Location:
- 2 Center Contact Info:
- 3 Open Hours:
- 4 Classes Offered at the Library:
- 5 LDS Members Free Access to Partner Websites
- 6 Boy Scout Merit Badge
- 7 Hardware and Equipment:
- 8 Premium Online Websites at FHC:
- 9 Libraries - local:
- 10 Expert Research Consultants:
- 11 Microfilm - Order Direct:
- 12 Staff Training Meetings:
- 13 FamilySearch Affiliate Sites that Add to the Magic :(FREE)
- 14 Volunteer at the Center:
- 4720 Surfwood Ln, Pueblo, Colorado 81005 United States
- Location Map
- We are located in the building on the northwest corner and have ADA-compatible access. (see center image on right). Entrance is at the northwest door. Push Door bell and we will answer and open the door. The Center is half way down the hall on the left. Ample free parking is available.
- Please note that this is not a Family History Center mailing address.
Center Contact Info:
- Phone at FHC: 1-719-564-0793
- Pueblo Colorado FHC Directors: 719-404-1832
- Tuesday: 9:00am-9:00pm
- Wednesday: 1:00pm-5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am-9:00pm
- Friday: 1:00pm-5:00pm
- Saturday: 1:00pm-5:00pm
For a reservation appointment for special Individual or Group use of facilities and resources, please contact the director in advance at (1-719-404-1832.)
2015 Closures Scheduled:
- March 2nd and 3rd Carpet Cleaning
- April 18th for Family History Fair
- May 25th for Memorial Day
- July 4th for the 4th of July Holiday
- October 12th and 13th Carpet Cleaning
- November 25 - 29th for Thanksgiving
- December 21st - 31st for Christmas
- January 1st - Jan 4th for New Years
We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness: Please call for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours:
Classes Offered at the Library:
Training Class Schedule Calendar Online
New Online Training Class Calendaring
View the Complete Training Class Schedule and Open Hours on one of the Calendar Links ABOVE or download and print the Training Class schedule in a PDF file BELOW.
Check back often as we add more classes to the Schedule. If there is something you are interested in learning about let us know and we will see if we can make that happen. If you are knowledgable in a topic let us know that as well.
LDS Members Free Access to Partner WebsitesRegister for LDS Member Access to Ancestry.com, findmypast, MyHeritage and American Ancestors:
Mississippi Quilt-"Mississippi to Pueblo... a Heart Touching Story"
Boy Scout Merit Badge
Hardware and Equipment:
- 10 Large Screen Patron Computers (recent models)
- 4 Microfilm readers in dark room for reading ease
- 1 Digital camera for copying microfilm microfiche
- 1 Microfiche reader
- 1 Multi-use printer (color scanner and b/w printer)
- 1 Printer (black and white)
- 1 Projector and screen (for classroom instruction)
- WiFi High Speed Internet access through out building
- Conference tables for personal computer setup
- Wall Chalkboard for group analysis of ideas
- Reader to digitize negatives, slides, and 35mm
- VHS to DVD for Family Video's
Premium Online Websites at FHC:
FREE - FamilySearch The Family Search web site records span billions of names across hundreds of collections—including census, birth, marriage, death, probate, land, military, IGI extracted, and more.
The local Family History Library also provides FREE use of numerous family history research websites that normally require a subscription fee for access. Visit our local library to see a listing of the available sites and utilize, free of charge, these resources. Shown below are many popular ones.
- My Heritage
- Find My Past,
- American Ancestors
- Godfrey Memorial Library,
- Heritage Quest Online,
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive,
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War,
- The Genealogist,
- Historical Map Works Library Edition,
- World Vital Records, and much more.
- A collection of over 900 books containing biographies, research materials, indexes & databases.
- A collection of over 3,700 rolls of Microfilm - indexed by State and Country or Numeric. (The Index Book of our Local Microfilm and Fiche is 350+ pages and is "Searchable on local Computer")
We have 18 Family History Library Consultants to assist you. These volunteers donate their time and many specialize in different areas of research.
Libraries - local:
Pueblo City-County Library District, 100 E Abriendo Ave Pueblo, CO 81004 Telephone 719-562-5600 Website: Pueblo Library
Pueblo County Historical Society, 201 West "B" Street Pueblo, CO 81003 Telephone 719-543-6772 Website: Pueblo History
The Pueblo Colorado Family History Center is a branch library of the Genealogical Library located in Salt Lake City, Utah. The main library was founded in 1894 to gather genealogical records and assist members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with their family history and genealogical research. The main Library is the largest library of its kind in the world and is visited by an estimated 1,900 or more individual patrons and groups each day. Our Pueblo, Colorado branch library is much more modest.
Staff Training Meetings:
1st Friday of each month @ 10:00 am. All Staff, Volunteers, Family History Consultants, Family History Teachers and High Priest Group Leaders are invited.
FamilySearch Affiliate Sites that Add to the Magic :(FREE)
- Relative Finder - Check here to discover how you are related the Famous and Infamous locally and around the world. It's a Small World!
- Create Fan / Tree Seek - Take a few minutes and see your family in a 9 Generation Colored Fan Chart, 9 Generation B/W Pedigree Chart and much more!
- Puzzilla.org - If numbers and kalidascopes amaze you, yourf first visit to this site will have you mesmerized as you see your direct ancestors lined up for 12 generations and then their descendants come spinning back towards you!
- Grandma's Pie - A visit here will help you visualize where your ancestors came from around the globe. You'll be surprised at the relatives you have in unfamiliar lands!
- History Lines - This program will bring to life the history of a family member and show the world they lived in during their lifetime. And yes you can add and edit your stories into the mix!
- Find A Record - This is the fastest way to analyze your tree and help you find the missing and incorrect information. Then it takes you directly to the FamilySearch record for your review and input!
- Sandbox Training - FamilySearch has a detailed, simple step by step training system to help you become an expert a very short time... You'll be amazed at how fast you learn and share with others!
- Master Story Interview Questions - Download this 4 page pdf file, print and take with you whenever you visit family. You will end up with the most amazing family stories to upload to your memories folder!
Volunteer at the Center:
- Do you want to learn more about doing family history? We will teach you how to help yourself while we teach you to help others. We encourage you to do your own research when not assisting patrons.
- Would you like to serve a full or part time mission but need to stay close to home? Come join us at the FHC where you can meet many new people and help them find their ancestors. Contact Bruce @ the library.
- Do you have special computer, language or research skills? We have a place for you to keep those skills honed and practiced, Use 'em or lose 'em.