Putnam County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Putnam County, West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Putnam County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 11, 1848|
|Address|| Putnam County Courthouse|
3389 Winfield Road
Winfield WV 25213
Putnam County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Putnam County, West Virginia Record Dates
- County Clerk has birth records from 1848, death records from 1853
- Marriage and probate records from 1853
- Land records from 1841
- Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and court records
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- West Virginia Cemetery Preservation Association Inc.
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Putnam County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Rust - Rust, Ellsworth Marshall. Rust of Virginia: Genealogical and Biographical Sketches of the Descendants of William Rust, 1654-1940. Washington, D.C.: Rust, 1940. FHL Book 929.273 R922re.
- Centennial Celebration, Hurricane, West Virginia, 1888-1988: Program. s. l., n. p., 1988. 975.435 H966c Pam.
- Comstock, Jim. Hardesty's Historical and Genealogical Encyclopedia. Richwood, West Virginia, Jim Comstock, 1973. 975.4003 H259 1973 v.1.
- Hanson, Lee H. The Buffalo Site: A Late 17th Century Indian Village Site (46 PU 31) in Putnam County, West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, West Virginia Geological and Economic Survey, 1975.
Geo 3. R4 no.5.
- Harper, Charles Ray. History of Red House, West Virginia. Red House, West Virginia, Charles Harper, 1983.
975.435 H293 Pam.
- _________________. A Short History of Putnam County, in Two Parts. Red House, West Virginia, Charles Harper, Putnam Democrat and Hurricane Breeze, 1983.
975.435 H293s Pam.
- Historical Records Survey, West Virginia. Inventory of the County Archives of West Virginia: No. 40 Putnam County (Winfield). Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration, Charleston, West Virginia, West Virginia Historical Records Survey, 1941.
- History of Buffalo, Putnam County, West Virginia. Pt. Pleasant, West Virginia, Mattox Printing Service, 1976.
- History of Hurricane, 100 Years, 1888-1988. Salem, West Virginia, Walsworth Press, Inc., 1988.
- Upper Vandalia Historical Society. The Paradise Journals, 1884-1905, Putnam County, West Virginia. s. l., Upper Vandalia Historical Society, 1981. 975.435 P222 Pam.
- ____________________________. The Vandalia Journal. s. l., Upper Vandalia Historical Society, 1964-.
- Wintz, William D. and Hunter, Ivan N. The History of Putnam County. Charleston, West Virginia, Upper Vandalia Historical Society, Quick Copy Service Company, 1967.
- Maps of West Virginia (1617-1995)
- Map of 1850 Virginia and West Virginia
- Putnam County, West Virginia map
- Map West-Virginia
Regiments. Service men in Putnam County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Putnam County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company G (Mountain Rangers).
- - 16th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company D.
- - 22nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry (1st Kanawha Regiment). Company A (Border Rifles).
- - 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles) (Confederate). Company B.
- - 36th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company B.
- - 36th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (2nd Kanawha Infantry) (Confederate). Company A (Buffalo Guards).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
World War II
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
Putnam County, West Virginia Will Books 1847 - 1968
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1848-1969 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Putnam County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Putnam County, West Virginia Various Microfilm Records at the Library of Virginia
- Putnam County, West Virginia
- Putnam County, West Virginia Families
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Putnam County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Putnam County, West Virginia," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Jack L. Dickinson, 8th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 25.
- Jack L. Dickinson, 16th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 60.
- Terry D. Lowry, 22nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 44.
- Scott C. Cole, 34th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 94.
- J.L. Scott, 36th and 37th Battalions Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 24.
- J.L. Scott, 36th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1987). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 36.
- Ronald R. Turner, 7th West Virginia Cavalry (Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989). Digital version at Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb; FHL Book 975.4 M2t.