Putnam County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Putnam County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Putnam County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 10, 1807|
|Address|| Putnam County Courthouse|
100 S Jefferson Avenue
Eatonton, GA 31024
Putnam County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Putnam County, Georgia Record Dates
Putnam County Courthouse
100 S Jefferson Avenue
Eatonton, GA 31024
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1807. Probate Court has birth records from 1866, marriage and probate records from 1808, death records from 1919 and tax digest 1812-1848
Clerk of Superior Court
100 S. Jefferson Ave.
Eatonton, GA 31024
Phone: (706) 485-4501
Fax: (706) 485-2875
Probate Court of Putnam County
100 South Jefferson Avenue, Suite 318
Eatonton, GA 31024
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Georgia Cemeteries for more information.|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- Crooked Creek Primitive Baptist Church, Members 1807, 1820, 1824-1826 Georgia Pioneers $
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Putnam County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Putnam County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Putnam County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Battalion, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 3rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 5th Regiment, Company H. Georgia Militia - USGenWeb
- - 12th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 44th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 66th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Putnam County). 1965. Confederate pension roll, 1890-1929; list of Confederate pensioners, 1879-1937; and Confederate roster. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 422018
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Putnam County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Putnam County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1808-1822 - Wills, 1808-1822 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1822-1857 - Wills, 1822-1857 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1857-1888 - Index to Will Book C, 1857-1888 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1808 - 1842 - Putnam County Marriage Books A thru D Index 1808-1842. Batch M713541 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1842 - 1868 - Putnam County Marriage Books E and F Index 1842-1868. Batch M713542 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1869 - 1879 - Putnam County Marriage Books G and H Index 1869-1879. Batch M713543 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1878 - 1895 - Putnam County Marriage Books I and J Index 1878-1895. Batch M713544 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
104 Church St
Eatonton, GA 31024-1306
Telephone Number: 706-485-6844
East Georgia Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 117
Winder, GA 30680
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Putnam County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Putnam County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers $
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Putnam County, Georgia. Page 159 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Putnam County, Georgia," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 50. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.