To get started in American Indian Research
Ancestral Homeland: Ohio Valley west side of the lower Mississippi to Arkansas River
Quapaw Tribe of Indians [Eastern Oklahoma]
P.O. Box 765
Quapaw, OK 74363
- Quapaw Tribe of Oklahoma Official Website
Population: 1984: total enrollment: 3,000 
- 1673: Contact with French explorer Jacques Marquette
- 1682: Rene-Robert Cavelier de la Salle
- 1686: Henri Tonti
- 1700's: The Quapaw became allies with French
- 1818 Treaty, August 24,cession, reservation
- 1824 Treaty, November 15, Harrington, Territory of Arkansas, cession
- 1833 Treaty, May 13, The tribe moved to Texas near the Red River among the Caddo. A flood encouraged migration back to Arkansas
- 1833: Removed from Arkansas; forced to locate in Indian Territory among the Osage
- 1834-1835 Census (M1831)
- 1835: Treaty with the Comanche, Etc.,
- 1865 Treaty, September 13, Indian Territory with the Cherokee and other Tribes.
- 1867 Treaty, February 23, Washington D.C., with the Seneca, Mixed Seneca and Shawnee, cession and removal
- 1867: Ceded land in Kansas
- 1905: Mineral discoveries of lead and zinc discovered on Quapaw land
Quapaw Agency 1871-1880
Neosho Agency 1831-1871
Osage Agency 1834-1837 and 1879-1880
Records for Superintendencies exist in the National Archives and copies of many of them are also available in other research facilities.
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Quapaw tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods. Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America and in David Bushnell's Villages of the Algonquian, Siouan and Caddoan Tribes West of the Mississippi.
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M 234 RG 75 Rolls 962
M 595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Quapaw||Caddo and Red River Agencies||Washington D.C.||Rolls 31, 727||-||-||-|
|Quapaw||Miami (Quapaw) Agency, 1870-1952||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||Rolls 703-13||-||Rolls 411-16||Films 581405-581410|
|Quapaw||Neosho Agency, 1831-71||Washington D.C.||Rolls 530-37||-||-||-|
|Quapaw||Osage Agency,1879-80||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||Rolls 633-41||-||Roll 317||Films 579727-579738|
|Quapaw||Seneca Agency, 1901-07, 1910-21||Washington D.C.||-||-||Rolls 487-89||Films 581498-581499|
Land and Property
Tribally owned land: 729.15 acres. Allotted land: 11,867.73 acres. 
- 1818 August 24,cession, reservation
- 1824 November 15, Harrington, Territory of Arkansas, cession
- 1833 May 13,
- 1835: with the Comanche, Etc.,
- 1865 September 13, Indian Territory with the Cherokee and other Tribes.
- 1867 February 23, Washington D.C., with the Seneca, Mixed Seneca and Shawnee, cession and removal.
- Osage Agency, M595, births and deaths 1925-1931, FHL Film: 579734
- Quapaw Agency, M595, births and deaths 1924-1932, FHL Film: 581408
- Indian Reservations A State and Federal Handbook. Compiled by The Confederation of American Indians, New York, N.Y. McFarland and Co. Inc., Jefferson, North Carolina, c. 1986. FHL book 970.1 In2 page 238
- Indian Reservations A State and Federal Handbook. Compiled by The Confederation of American Indians, New York, N.Y. McFarland and Co. Inc., Jefferson, North Carolina, c. 1986. FHL book 970.1 In2 page 237
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published