Quincy Illinois Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Location
- 2 Center Contact Info
- 3 Hours of Operation
- 4 Boy Scout Genealogy Merit Badge / Cub Scout Heritages Pin or Belt Loop
- 5 FHC Onsite Resources
- 6 Calendar and Events
- 7 In the Local Area
- 8 Websites for Local Information
- 9 Volunteer at the Center
- Location Map
- 210 Cardinal Terrace
Quincy IL 62301 United States
- We are located in the rear of the building on the southeast corner along the south end of the building (image of the entrance is on the bottom left of the collage) and have ADA-compatible access. Entrance is at the southeast door. Push Door bell and we will answer and open the door. The Center is immediately to the left as you enter the building. Ample free parking is available.
- Please note that this is not a mailing address. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- Location Map
Center Contact Info
- Phone: 217-224-3220 (FHC phone)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Quincy IL FHC Director: 309-306-2060 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation
- Sunday: CLOSED
- Monday: CLOSED
- Tuesday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Wednesday: CLOSED
- Thursday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Friday: CLOSED
- Saturday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Because of several staff members having some recent major illness concerns, the FHC is short staffed temporarily. If you are interested in using the FHC but cannot come in during the limited hours, please call 309-306-2060 and we will try to accommodate a time that works for you.
NOTE: If these hours do not work with your schedule, there may be a possibility of making an appointment to use the FHC outside of these hours. To arrange a possible appointment outside of the listed hours, please call 309-306-2060.
We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness. Please call for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours.
Holiday Closure Schedule
Closed for the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- LDS General Conference (first Saturday of April)
- Independence Day
- LDS General Conference (first Saturday of October)
- Thanksgiving Day and the following Friday
- Christmas Eve to New Year's Day
Boy Scout Genealogy Merit Badge / Cub Scout Heritages Pin or Belt Loop
Our staff is ready to work with your pack or troop to earn either the Genealogy Merit Badge (Boy Scouts) or the Heritage Pin or Belt Loop (cub scouts). For more information about scheduling either the scouts to come to the FHC or to have a staff member to come to your scout troop/pack, please call 309-306-2060.
FHC Onsite Resources
Our Patron Resources
- 4 Patron Computers (recent models)
- 2 Microfilm Readers
- 1 Microfiche Reader
- 1 Digital Camera for copying microfilm & microfiche
- 1 Multi-use printer (color scanner and b/w printer)
- 1 Photo printer
- WiFi Internet access through out the building
Free Access to Premium Online Databases
- Newspaper Archives
- Find My Past (access to limited records)
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War
- ArkivDigital Online
- Historical Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
Microfilm - Order Direct
- As part of our collection, we have several rolls of microfilm from the Family History Library on long term loan to the FHC. List of available films coming soon. Even if we do not have the film at the FHC, it can be ordered for usage at the FHC.
- Microfilms ordered and sent to the Quincy Illinois Family History Center are just $7.50 each and will be kept for 90 days at the Quincy Illinois Family History Center with a 60 day extension possible.
- Microfilm must be ordered online at FamilySearch. Select the Quincy Illinois Family History Center as the default location where you would like your microfilm/microfiche to be sent. Confirmation of the order and notification of the arrival of the film at the library will be sent to patrons via email.
Calendar and Events
Check back soon for specific events and classes available at the Quincy Family History Center.
Correcting Errors in FamilySearch
Saturday, September 19 @ 9:00AM
FamilySearch FamilyTree has information submitted by people from all over the world and is available for free. Individuals may have entered incorrect information, though. But what if you know the information is incorrect, how do you change it? This session will demonstrate how to make changes in FamilySearch. The Family History Center will be open afterwards for anyone that needs hands-on help.
Staff Training Meetings
In the Local Area
- Quincy Public Library - Illinois Room
526 Jersey St., Quincy, IL (Directions - Google Maps)
- Historical Society of Quincy and Adams County -- Research Library
425 S 12th St, Quincy, IL (Directions - Google Maps)
- Brenner Library - Quincy University
1800 College Ave, Quincy, IL (Directions - Google Maps)
- Quincy Museum
1601 Maine St, Quincy, IL (Directions - Google Maps)
- Great River Genealogical Society
Meets second Thursday of each month, September to April
at the Lutheran Church of St. John, 3340 State St, Quincy IL (Directions - Google Maps)
Websites for Local Information
- Adams County, Illinois GenWeb
- Adams County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
- Quincy Newspaper Archives -- Quincy Public Library
- Quincy Area Historic Photo Collection -- Illinois Digital Archives
- Illinois State Archives Databases -- Marriages, Deaths, Military, Land, Servitude/Emancipation, etc.
- Illinois Boys in Blue -- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
Volunteer at the Center
If you would like to donate your time and talents and work with us in the library, please let us know. We would love to work with you. You can contact the director at 309-306-2060.