Raleigh North Carolina Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 The Raleigh Family History Center serves Raleigh and Eastern Wake County.
The Raleigh Family History Center serves Raleigh and Eastern Wake County.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 5060 Six Forks Rd Raleigh NC 27609 United States
- This is not a mailing address, but only the physical address of the Center.
- Main entrance is on the south side of the building (small parking lot), in the back.
- Door is located at top of stairs.
Monday, Wednesday & Friday 9am-1pm
Tuesday & Wednesday 7:00pm-8:30pm
Saturdays by appointment
Closed for the following in 2017:
- All Federal Holidays
- Thanksgiving, November 20 -25
- Christmas/New Years, December 16-31, January 1, 2018
Closed when the Wake County School System is closed. If in doubt, please call before coming.
Calendar and Events
At 7-8pm, every third Thursday of the month, January through October, we have a class on various family history related topics. Please register online to attend at raleighfhc.eventbrite.com.
Family History Class - March 16th - What in the World is Indexing?
Ever wonder what indexing is and why it’s important? Join us Thursday, March 16th @ 7pm to learn why indexing is vital to temple and family history work.
Indexing is a wonderful service activity for people of all ages. It:
- Gives individuals and families a way to be involved in family history work in short amounts of time.
- Provides a service opportunity for those who may not be able to serve in other ways.
- Gives everyone a way to say “thank you” after finding family names through records others have indexed in the past.
Join us on March 16th for a short discussion on “Why Index?” followed by real-time indexing.
Sign up for the class at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/what-in-the-world-is-indexing-tickets-32708041633
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Several genealogy software programs are available to try on the patron computers.
Hardware and Equipment
- 10 patron computers
- 1 microform reader/copier (makes digital copies in addition to printouts)
- 1 multimedia card reader
- 1 photocopier
- 2 black and white laser printers
We offer one-on-one sessions with an expert on various topics. Appointments can be made online here .
Resources in the Local Area
- Apex Family History Center
590 Bryan Drive
Apex, NC 27502
- Durham Family History Center
1050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Chapel Hill, NC
- Olivia Raney Public Library
9016 Carya Drive
- North Carolina State Archives & Library
109 East Jones Street
Archive Search Room: 919-807-7310
State Library/Genealogy: 919-807-7460
- Raleigh FHC Patron Notification List - Receive email notifications of changes and events at the Raleigh Family History Center. This is a low volume list.
Volunteer at the Center
- Need additional help on most shifts
- Teach patron classes
Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering or have questions.
Adding details to a FHC page article.