Randolph County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Randolph County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Randolph County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Family Histories
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Probate
- 4.12 Taxation
- 4.13 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Randolph County Courthouse
Asheboro, NC 27203
* Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
* Marriage records from 1800 and land records
* Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records
* Probate records from 1786
Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 4458
Asheboro, NC. 27204
Clerk Superior Court
176 E Salisbury St #201
Asheboro, NC 27203
Phone: (336) 328-3000
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Many court records are missing.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Randolph County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- [German] German, John L. "Finding the Father of David German of North Carolina and Shelby County, Indiana," The American Genealogist, Vol. 68, No. 2 (Apr. 1993):87-94. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
The Randolph County, North Carolina Register of Deeds has deed records dating back to the 1780s. For example, typing in book 1 with no page number yields a listing of pages of book 1, even though the site indicates only books 1047-1173 are available. Images with page 0 are book index pages.
SOME INDEX POINTS. The deeds are not in strict order by date.
Book 4 starts about 1787.
Book 5 starts about 1790. It begins with an index. Book 6 starts about 1794.
Book 7 starts about 1795.
Book 8 starts about 1797.
Book 9 starts about 1799. No index.
Book 10 starts about 1802. No index.
Book 12 starts about 1807. No index.
Update as of 31 March 2014 :
- The Randolph historical deeds site requires Sun Microsystems Java. If you use the Foxfire browser, Java 7 may refuse to display records. It might be necessary to download Java SE6. This site is helpful: http://www.oldapps.com/java.php. Because Firefox is 32 bit even on a 64-bit computer, you will have to download 32-bit Java. Update 45 works. Click through all warnings when installing.
- Preliminary: Run javacpl.exe, the Java control panel and set it not to update automatically and to display the control panel.
- On visiting www.randrod.com/Historical.asp you will receive warnings from Java. Click through all of them. If the display balks during a viewing session restart the browser. When you are through with the old version of Java you might want to uninstall it for security reasons.
- Randolph County, 1779-1979 (1980)
- 1861-1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861-1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Randolph County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Randolph County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry
- - 1st Brigade, North Carolina Reserves, Company F
- - 1st Regiment, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company F
- - 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry, Company F
- - 6th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company A
- - 6th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company D
- - 6th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company I
Online Probate Records
- 1660-1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663-1979 - North Carolina Estate Files 1663-1979 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1665-1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735-1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760-1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Randolph County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1773-1964 - Will Books 1 to 25 (1773-1964) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Pre-1916 - Randolph County Births Before 1916 at USGenWeb - free.
- 1800-2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866-1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898-1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906-1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908-2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931-1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741-2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759-1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762-1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763-1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Randolph County Genealogical Society
PO Box 4394
Randolph County Historical Society
PO Box 4355
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Randolph County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Sandy Creek Baptist Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com/, accessed 22 October 2012.
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:227-228. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.