Ranworth with Panxworth, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Ranworth with Panxworth, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Ranworth with Panxworth, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Blofield|
|Parish registers: 1558; For more records see Woodbastwick; Separate registers exist for Panxworth beginning 1847|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
RANWORTH (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. W.) from Acle. There is a place of worship for Baptists. 
Ranworth St Helen is an Ancient Parish in the Blofield deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
The 14th century church of St. Helen's has a fine 15th century painted rood screen and a rare Antiphoner. It is a Grade I listed building
From the top of Ranworth church's 100 ft. tall tower one can see many of the broads and rivers.(see 360 degree tour in Web Links below)
Known as the "Cathedral of the Broads" it has over 100,000 visitors a year and is one of the most visited parish churches in England.
Norfolk Churches provides additional information and photos of St. Helen, Ranworth.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Ranworth parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ranworth Parish Online Records|
Panxworth registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Panxworth Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 243
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1891 Census Surname List provided by Pat Greetham.
1597 Subsidy Taxes courtesy of the Norfolk Transcription Archives.
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Blofield/Blofield.shtml
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Ranworth on GenUKI
- Norfolk: Panxworth on GenUKI
- Ranworth Church
- Ranworth St Helen on A Church Near You
- Blofield Deanery
- Ranworth on Norfolk Churches
- Ranworth on Tour Norfolk
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 633-638. Date accessed: 07 May 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.