Renville County, North Dakota Genealogy
Guide to Renville County, North Dakota ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
The county was originally created in 1873 but not organized until July 23, 1910, with Mohall as the county seat. It was named after Joseph Renville, an important figure who acted as interpreter and translator in dealings between white men and the Sioux.
Renville County Courthouse
205 Main St E
PO Box 68
Mohall, ND 58761
Renville County Website
Clerk District Court has incomplete birth and death records from 1910, marriage, divorce, probate, military and court records from 1910;
Register of Deeds has land records from 1910
Renville County, North Dakota Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|1910--Renville County was created 3 June 1910 from Ward County.|
County seat: Mohall 
The following are locations in the county
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
State Census Records
- 1885 Dakota Territory 1885 Census Index at NDSU Archives – index only
- 1885 Renville County, 1885 Dakota Territory Census Index, list of names. (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885, 1915, 1925 North Dakota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1885, 1915, 1925 at Ancestry.com – ($), index and images
- 1915 North Dakota Census, 1915 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1925 North Dakota Census, 1925 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for North Dakota starting in 1910. For links to Federal census indexes, see North Dakota Census.
- 1910 Census, Renville County, images. (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1920 Census, Renville County, images. (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1930 Census, Renville County, images. (USGenWeb Archives)
Church records can be found online, kept onsite at the church, or housed in a church archive or library. See North Dakota Church Records for more information on how to locate the records.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages. For more information, see North Dakota Land and Property.
Online Land Records
- Index to Renville County BLM Land Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1861 - 1936 - U.S. Homestead Records 1861-1936 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
For more information see North Dakota Land and Property
Local histories, including those of the county, are available for Renville County. These histories can include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information.
- Renville County history. 1976. By Renville County Old Settler's Association. [Mohall, North Dakota] : Renville County Old Settler's Association. Online at:; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of North Dakota - shows boundary changes for North Dakota Counties
- North Dakota Maps at NDGenWeb -historical maps
- 1861-1865 - Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.
- 1890 - United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.
World War I
- 1917-1918 - North Dakota Military Men 1917-1918 at Ancestry ($)
- 1917-1918 9 Roster of the men and women who served in the army or naval service (including the Marine Corps) of the United States or its allies from the state of North Dakota in the World War, 1917-1918, Vols. 1-4 at Ancestry ($)
- World War I Casualties, Renville County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
World War II
- World War II Army Casualties, Renville County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- World War II Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Casualties, Renville County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- Vietnam War Casualties, Renville County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- For further information see North Dakota Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Online Naturalization Indexes and Records
- North Dakota Naturalization Records Index at NDSU Archives – index only, covers various dates and counties
For more information see North Dakota Newspapers.
North Dakota Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers GenealogyBank] - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some North Dakota newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
North Dakota Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
- State Historical Society of North Dakota - contains inventory and catalog of all known ND newspapers
- Renville County Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records, including wills and estates, are at the county clerk's office. See also North Dakota Probate Records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800 – 1985 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
County tax records are at the county treasurer's, auditor's or clerk's office in the county courthouse. Some tax records may have been moved to the North Dakota State Archives.
Birth, marriage, death, and divorce records may be recorded on registers, certificates, or other documents at the county clerk's office. Many records are also being digitized and put online. See North Dakota Vital Records for more information about availability and how to access them.
- Renville County Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
Online Death Indexes and Records
North Dakota State University Archives
West Building 3551 7th Avenue
N Fargo, ND 58102
Libraries NDSU Dept #2080
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Renville County Historical Society
PO Box 213
Sherwood, ND 58782
- Renville County, North Dakota, USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Renville County, North Dakota, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records.
- Renville County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Renville County Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Renville County, North Dakota, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Renville County, North Dakota, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Renville County, North Dakota. Page 525 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Renville County, North Dakota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia.
- Greene, shown on a 1977 USGS map (at present day 46th Ave NW and 86th Street NW), was a former station stop on the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Saint Marie Railroad. Its former streets are still shown on Google Earth and Yahoo! Maps.