Rhoscolyn, Anglesey Genealogy
RHÔSCOLYN, a parish, in the hundred of Menai, union and county of Anglesey, North Wales, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Holyhead. The name of this parish is derived by the author of the "Mona Antiqua Restaurata" from one of those columns which the Romans erected, both as commemorative of their victories, and to mark the extent of their conquests. The church, dedicated to St. Gwenvaen, is a small edifice of the first half of the fifteenth century, measuring 44 feet by 19 feet, external dimensions, and in tolerable preservation. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
RHOSCOLYN, a parish in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 4 miles S.E. of Holyhead, its post town, and 15 from Llangefric. It is situated in the S. half of the Holy Island. In the neighbourhood are ruins of a religious house. For more information see Rhoscolyn, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464296.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 29 Aug 2014.