Ritchie County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Ritchie County, West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Ritchie County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1843|
|Address|| Ritchie County Courthouse|
115 East Main Street
Harrisville, WV 26362
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 County Information
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Genealogy
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Naturalization
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 5.15 Societies and Libraries
- 5.16 Web Sites
- 5.17 References
- County Clerk has birth, marriage, death probate, land, military records from 1853
- Circuit Court Clerk has divorce records
- Magisterial Court has court records
Ritchie County, West Virginia Record Dates
- The History of Ritchie County, West Virginia, to 1980
- Ritchie County, West Virginia History at Ancestry.com ($)
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Index to cemetery readings at the Ritchie County Library, Harrisville, Ritchie County, West Virginia, book I
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Ritchie County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- McFarland - Finley, Carmen J. "The McFarlings: From Virginia to the California Gold Rush," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):3-12; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):131-145; Vol. 44, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2000):186-195; Vol. 44, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2000):275-292. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
Regiments. Service men in Ritchie County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Ritchie County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company C.
- - 26th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company A and Company C.
Records and histories are available, including:
- 1861 - 1865 - West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books 1756-1971 at [https:/familysearch.org/ FamilySearch] — index and images
- West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1843-1970 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Ritchie County Historical Society
200 S Church Street
Harrisville, WV 26362
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Ritchie County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ritchie County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.