Riverside County, California Genealogy
|Riverside County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||March 11, 1893|
|Address|| Riverside County Courthouse|
4080 Lemon St
1 st Floor
PO Box 12004
Riverside, CA 92502
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Riverside County, California Record Dates
County Clerk Recorder has birth, marriage, death and land records from 1893
The county was named from the City of Riverside, christened when the upper canal of the Santa Ana River reached it in 1871. The county seat Riverside and the county was created 1893. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Cities: Banning | Beaumont | Blythe | Calimesa | Canyon Lake | Cathedral City | Coachella | Corona | Desert Hot Springs | Eastvale | Hemet | Indian Wells | Indio | Jurupa Valley | La Quinta | Lake Elsinore | Menifee | Moreno Valley | Murrieta | Norco | Palm Desert | Palm Springs | Perris | Rancho Mirage | Riverside | San Jacinto | Temecula | Wildomar
The following web sites may have additional information on Riverside County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Riverside County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Palm Springs
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
Local histories are available for Riverside County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Riverside County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Riverside - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Corona Public Library
650 S. Main Street
Corona, California 98992-3417
Riverside Hall of Justice
4100 Main Street, Riverside, Ca. 92501
Riverside Historic Courthouse
4050 Main Street, Riverside, Ca. 92501
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Anza California Family History Center
- Blythe California Family History Center
- Corona California Family History Center
- Hemet Family History Library**
425 North Kirby
Hemet, CA 92544
- Jurupa California Family History Center (Riverside)
- Lake Elsinore California Family History Center
- Menifee California Family History Center (Sun City)
- Moreno Valley California Family History Center
- Murrieta California Family History Center
- Palm Desert California Family History Center
- Riverside California Family History Center
Corona Genealogical Society
Meets in the Corona Public Library
Hemet-San Jacinto Genealogical Society, Inc
P. O. Box 2516
Hemet, California 92546-2516
P. O. Box 2557
Riverside, CA 92516-2557
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Riverside County Historical Commission
P.O. Box 3507
Riverside Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 2557
Coachella Valley Genealogical Society
PO Box 124
Indio, CA 92202
Colorado River-Blythe Quartsite Genealogical Society
PO Box 404
Blythe, CA 92226
Corona Genealogical Society
650 S. Main Street
Corona, CA 92882-3417
Desert Hot Springs Historical Society
PO Box 1267
Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240
Genealogical Society of Riverside
PO Box 2557
Riverside, CA 92156-2557
Hemet-San Jacinto Genealogical Society
PO Box 2516
Hemet, CA 92343
Lake Elsinore Genealogical Society
PO Box 807
Lake Elsinore, CA 92330
Palm Springs Genealogical Society
PO Box 2093
Palm Springs, CA 92263
Palm Springs Historical Society
PO Box 1498
Palm Springs, CA 92263
Pioneer Historical Society of Riverside
PO Box 246
Riverside, CA 92502
Society Middletown First Settlers Descendants(1650-1700)
81641 Ave. 48, Space 89
Indio, CA 92201-6723
Temecula Valley Genealogical Society
27475 Ynez Road, Ste. 291
Temecula Valley Historical Society
PO Box 157
Temecula, CA 92593
- Riverside County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Riverside County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Riverside County, California. Page 86 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Riverside County, California Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/cal/riverside/ 05/05/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Riverside County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_County,_California 05/05/2017.