Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Rutherford County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Rutherford County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Genealogy
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Migration
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Rutherford County Court
229 N Main Street P O Box 551
Rutherforton, NC 28139-0630
Courthouse burned in 1857
Clerk Superor Courtt has birth records from 1917
death records from 1913
marriage dirvorce probate court and land records from 1779
tax lists and voter registration
Register of Deeds
P.O. Box 551
Rutherfordton, NC 28043
Clerk Superior Court
229 N Main St Ste 203
Rutherfordton, NC 28139
Phone: (828) 288-6100
After Rutherford County's initial creation in 1779, there have been some distinct changes made to the boundaries.
In 1791, a small portion of the west sides of Rutherford and Burke County created Buncombe County.
In 1841, about a third of the county on the east side, as well as western side of the neighboring Lincoln county, were formed into Cleveland County.
The year following that, 1842, a small portion of the northern side of Rutherford county and half of the neighboring County of Burke was taken to make McDowell County.
In 1855, the southwestern side of the county was formed into Polk County.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1907--Fire burned courthouse
- Cherokee County, South Carolina
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Bill's Creek. Constituted 1782.
- Buffalow Creek. Constituted 1777.
- Green River. Constituted 1778.
- Mountain Creek. Constituted 1789.
- Sandy Run. Constituted 1788.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- "Notes on a Proctor Family of Northeastern Rutherford Co., N.C.," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 38, No. 3 (August 2010):102-110. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 38
Early migration routes to and from Rutherford County for European settlers included:
- Old Cherokee Path pre-historic
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company D
- - 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company G
- - 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company N
- - 1st Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company B
- - 1st Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company C
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Rutherford County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1780 - 1784 - Minutes of the Pleas and Quarter Sessions 1780 to 1784. (mentions wills filed, inventory lists, sales, administratrators, orphans, deeds proved, etc. If you cannot find a will in the will book, this is where to search) North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- 1782 - 1964 - Will Books 1 to 3 and A to N (1782-1964) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1782 - 1964 - Rutherford County North Carolina list of will book testators SAMPUBCO - Browsable index of testators of wills. - Free
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1880 - 1932 - Rutherford County Birth Index 1880-1932. Batch C752254 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1851 - 1965 - Rutherford County Marriage Index 1851-1965 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County
PO Box 938
Forest City, NC 28043
Rutherford County Library
255 Callahan Koon Rd.
Spindale NC 28169
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Rutherford County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Rutherford County, North Carolina. Page 512 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 2:568. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- "Brittain Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f5/Iginorthcarolinap.pdf.