Salem Oregon East Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(Add a brief paragraph about your center here and the area it serves. Information in italics below is guidance for you and should be deleted as you fill out the page. Remove italics from other text by selecting the text and clicking the "I" box in the Toolbar above.)
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- Location on Map
- N44.94160 W122.97360
- 862 45th Ave NE Salem, OR 97301 United States
- Enter south parking lot, go to the SE corner of the building.
- Sign on the door.
- 1-503-371-0453, The Center, answered during OPEN hours (see below).
- 1-503-409-2679, Director's cell
- Begin SUBJECT with "FHC -"
- Tuesday: 9:00am-4:00pm
- Wednesday: 2:00pm-9:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am-2:00pm
Summer Vacation: July 1st thru July 18th, 2016
Thanksgiving Vacation: November 22nd thru November 25th, 2016
Christmas Vacation: December 16th thru January 1st, 2017
Calendar and Events
Keizer Stake Family Discovery Day (POSTPONED UNTIL FALL)
Saturday, June 4th 2016; 862 45th Ave (church building); Salem; 8:30-12:00pm.
~~~ All Classes at the Family History Center. All Tuesday, except one. ~~~
~~~ See Class Handouts, BELOW, for Class outline ~~~
Basic Family Tree. . . . . . . . . . 9/13/16, 1:00-2:00pm, Instructor: Don Garrett
Beginning Genealogy. . . . . . . .9/14/16. 7:00-8:00pm. Instructor: Diane Reinwald <-- WEDNESDAY
Advanced Family Tree. . . . . . . 9/20/16, 1:00-2:00pm, Instructor: Don Garrett
Adding Memories to FT. . . . . . 9/27/16, 1:00-2:00pm, Instructor: Dee Ann Border
RootsMagic. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10/4/16, 1:00-2:00pm, Instructor: Don Garrett
Computer Basics I. . . . . . . . . .10/11/16, 1:00-2:30pm, Instructor: Don Garrett
Computers Basics II. . . . . . . . 10/18/16, 1:00-2:30pm, Instructor: Don Garrett
Research Using FamilySearch. .10/25/16. 1:00-2:00pm, Instructor: Kathy Johnson
Basic Family Tree
Advanced Family Tree
Adding Memories to Family Tree (FamilySearch)
Computer Basics I for Genealogists
Computer Basics II for Genealogists
Researching Using FamilySearch
Online Microfilm/Microfiche Ordering
Staff Training Meetings
Staff Meeting - September 13th, 1:00-2:00pm at the Center
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal; This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- The Center has all of the necessary equipment for Family History Research. Below is a list of items available to patrons.
- 6 computers, with Internet access, for patron use.
- Each has the capability to print on a lazer printer (black, no color).
- There are 4 microfilm readers, most with magnification.
- There is a Canon microfilm/microfiche reader/printer for printing images.
- There are 2 microfiche readers
- One lazer printer, copier, scanner. Will scan to FamilySearch memories.
Staff Research Specialties
(Include sections for any other services your center provides. Add additional sections for those services. See the <a href="Mesa Family History Center">Mesa</a> and <a href="Logan Utah Family History Center">Logan</a> FHC pages for examples.)
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
Willamette Valley Genealogical Society at the Salem City Library. http://www.wvgsor.org
Early Oregonians Database (prior to 1860). http://sos.oregon.gov/archives/Pages/records.aspx
Marion County Historical Society at the Willamette Heritage Center. http://www.willametteheritage.org/
Silverton Genealogy Group - Ancestry Detectives. http://www.ancestrydetectives.org
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)