Salle, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
SALL (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 1¾ mile (N. N. E.) from Reepham. 
Salle St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The church was a 15th century replacement on the site of an earlier one. It is a large church as a result of several local landlords desire to compete in their contributions to the building which was built mainly by the Boleyn, Foutaine and Brigg families all of which are commemorated by 15th century monuments in the church.
A memorial brass for Geoffrey and Alice Boleyn (1440) indicate the Boleyn presence long before Ann Boleyn became a wife to Henry VIII.
Salle is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk.
For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of Broadland.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Aylsham 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Salle, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Salle, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1558-1924||Undefined||1558-1830, 1837-1901||Undefined||1558-1902|
The FamilySearch Catalogue has the parish spelled Sall which compromises searches.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 328 Parish Records of Salle
Item 1 Baptisms 1559-1730 Marriages 1558-1643, 1661-1730 Burials 1558-1644, 1655-1730 Item 2 Baptisms and burials 1730-1813 Marriages 1730-1753 Item 3 Baptisms 1813-1924 Item 4 Baptism register bill 1869-1872 Item 5 Draft baptisms and burials 1885-1897 Item 6 Marriages 1754-1812 ; banns 1754-1818 Item 7 Marriages 1814-1830 Item 8 Marriages 1837-1901 FHL BRITISH Film 1596459 Items 1-8
Burials, 1813-1902 FHL BRITISH Film 1911696 Item 25
Baptisms and burials 1600-1608, 1623-1633, 1665-1812 Marriages 1600-1608, 1628-1633, 1665-1811 FHL BRITISH Film 1526782 Item 10
Images of the parish register for this parish are available on FamilySearch Historical Records; however the way point to the image has been incorrectly spelled and awaits correction by engineers.<br
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Salle on GenUKI
- Salle St Peter St Paul on A Church Near You
- Salle Church Contains photos, church info.
- Salle on Norfolk Churches
- Video of Church Roof Bosses
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 5-11. Date accessed: 14 May 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.