Salthouse, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham|
|Parish registers: 1548|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1601|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
SALTHOUSE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 2¼ miles (E.) from Clay. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.
Salthouse St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the Holt deanery of the diocese of Norwich.
The name of the village comes from the once valuable commodity of Salt. It was once what it says it was: a “House for the storing of salt” and the Domesday Book of 1086 describes it so. Norfolk and Lincolnshire had more salt pans than any other counties of the British Isles in Medieval times. To produce salt sea water was boiled in clay vessels with the salt formed after the process fashioned into blocks of a standard weight and measure. Much evidence of this activity can be found along this stretch of the coast. There is evidence of even earlier settlements around Salthouse.
It seems most likely that a church was erected about 1250, as about that date the list of rectors begins. In all probability the existing church tower dates from then. Whatever the previous church was like it did not come up to the ideals of lovers of church architecture at the beginning of the English Rennaissance, for we do know definitely that the present building was completed in the year 1503. It is useless to speculate when the rebuilding commenced though it probably did not take more than six years to erect. One guesses this because although its builder, Sir Henry Heydon, possessed the advowson and also one of the manors in Salthouse prior to 1497, it was not till that date that he acquired by exchange the other manor which gave him complete control over the whole parish. Surely until he had obtained entire possession he would not have begun such so vast and expensive a work.
At all events the following entry occurs in the Register under 1636:
Mem. The Church of Salthouse was built in ye year of our Lord God One thousand Five hundred and Three. For so it appeareth in one of ye windows of the same Church."
Ita testatur Thos. Dawney rector de Salthouse 12 mo Decembre 1636.
This window no longer exists: no doubt a sacrifice to the fanaticism of the Puritans of Cromwell's time.
If you live in Norfolk or near Blakeney then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access online records at FamilySearch and other sites mentioned on this page. Additional records (microfilm and online) can be viewed at Family History Centers. Refer to Salthouse and Norfolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: email@example.com
Salthouse, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Salthouse, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 23
http://www.salthousehistory.co.uk/baptisms%201813.htm for Baptisms online
http://www.salthousehistory.co.uk/marriagesmain.html for marriages from the parish online
http://www.salthousehistory.co.uk/burials.html for burials
Salthouse United Methodist church
http://www.salthousehistory.co.uk/1851%20religious%20census.html for 1851 religious census entries about the Methodist chapels.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438862.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Jarvis Robin. John Jarvis IV. History of the family of John Jarvis and Martha Lewis with the following surnames, Mack, Ellis, Wiffen, Russley, Porter: with branches moving to Ely, Wigton, Bury St. Edmunds, Gt. Yarmouth, London, Barking, Essex, and Ewell Surrey. Article dated 1700-1877, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, vol.9,part 4, pages 235-237. Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j new series v,9. pt. 4 (Dec. 2012)
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Salthouse on GenUKI
- Salthouse *Salthouse on Norfolk Images
- British History online
- Salthouse on Literary Norfolk
- Church of St Nicholas Salthouse on British Listed buildings
- Salthouse on Norwich Churches
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 5-11. Date accessed: 14 May 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.