Sampson County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Sampson County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sampson County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church Records
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Photographs
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Register of Deeds
126-A W. Elizabeth St.
Clinton, NC 28328
Clerk Superior Court
Sampson Co Courthouse
101 E Main Street
Clinton, NC 28328
Phone: (910) 596-6600
History of Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1865--Early court records are missing partially caused by Federal sympathizers.
1921--Clerk's office fire. Early deed books of Duplin County prior to 1784 are listed herein.
Bibles pertaining to Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
Cemeteries of Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
Sampson Co cemeteries at Cemetery Census
Sampson Co. cemeteries at ePodunk
Sampson Co. cemeteries at Find-a-Grave
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Sampson County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
1790 Census Index, Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
1800 Census Index, Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
1830 Census Index, Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
1840 Census Index, Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
1870 Census by Township, Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
- Beaver Dam. Established by 1789.
- Black River. Established by 1758.
- Cowhairy. Established by 1808.
- Great Cohara aka Rowan. Established 1759.
- Mingo. Established by 1808.
- Seven Miles. Established by 1808.
- Black River, near Ivanhoe, N.C. Organized 1740.
Deeds and Land Records; Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
Estates; Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
Miscellaneous Records: Administrators Sale, Court Minutes, Patents, Trials, Voters; Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
Wills; Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
- Families of Sampson Co,; Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
- Family Surnames;Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
- It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 L585Ljd; CD-ROM no. 1036
- Sampson County Deeds, 1783 - present -- the Register of Deeds has scanned in all county deeds and made them available online. An index is available.
Township Map for Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
More Maps at Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
Military Records at Sampson Co, NCGenWeb, Includes records for the American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, World War II and Vietnam.
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Sampson County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Sampson County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company A
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry (63rd Regiment Volunteers), Company C
- - 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain William H Bryan's Company
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Obituaries at Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
Photographs relating to Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files 1663-1979 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Sampson County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1782 - 1965 - Will Books A and 1 to 15 (1782-1965) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1880 - 1965 - Sampson County Birth Index 1880-1965. Batch C752252 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1867 - 1931 - Sampson County Marriage Index 1867-1931. Batch M752342 at FamilySearch - free.
- Individual Marriages at Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
- Executions at Sampson Co, NCGenWeb
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Societies and Libraries
Sampson County Historical Society
2336 Horine Road
PO Box 1084
Clinton, NC 28328
Telephone Number: 910-564-6471
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Sampson County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Sampson County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sampson County, North Carolina. Page 512 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:305, 491. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Perhaps located in New Hanover County, or another name for Bull Tail, see: George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:304-305. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at archive.org.
- "Black River Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f5/Iginorthcarolinap.pdf.