Sandbach Heath St John the Evangelist, Cheshire Genealogy
Sandbach Heath St John the Evangelist was founded as an ecclesiatical parish for part of Sandbach in 1861 formed from part of the Sandbach St Mary, Cheshire Ancient Parish.
The church was opened in 1861 and was designed by George Gilbert Scott, who was responsible for many fine buildings in the area. It was built following a bequest of £5000 in the will of Miss Sarah Sibson. The church is built in the Early English Gothic style in the shape of a cross with a tower and spire standing on the four arches which form the junction of the nave, transepts and chancel. The walls are of local Mow Cop stone, and the roof is of Westmorland green slates. There is much fine tracery carving in the stonework within the church and the reredos behind the altar is the work of Mrs Jessie Twemlow who carved the oak with designs of bulrush, foxglove and horse chestnut. The lych-gate was built as a memorial to the men of the parish who died in the First World War.
Parish registers for St. John's Church, Sandbach Heath, 1861-1969 Sandbach Heath is a chapelry in Sandbach parish.
Later a parish Cheshire Record Office reference: P 273/6117/1-4, 8-10.
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online at FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly Record Search)
|Baptisms, 1861-1969. Marriages, 1861-1951. Banns of marriages, 1861-1968. Burials, 1862-1962.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2301157 Items 1 - 7
|Baptisms, 1861-1969 (another filming). Marriages, 1861-1951 (another filming). Burials, 1862-1962 (another filming).|| VAULT BRITISH Film |
2356822 Items 1 - 6
Bishop's transcripts for St. John's Church, Sandbach Heath, 1861-1864
Formerly a chapelry in Sandbach parish. Includes Arclid and Betchton. Cheshire Record Office reference: EDB 182
An index for Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s Transcripts (Diocese of Chester) is available online at FamilySearch Historical Records(formerly Record Search)
|Baptisms, 1861-1864, burials, 1862-1863.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1647670 Item 5
Poor Law Unions
- Congleton (1837–1937)
- Crewe (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD