Santon, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Thetford|
|Parish registers: 1770|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1707|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
SANTON (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Grimshoe, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Thetford. 
Santon All Saints is a Victorian rebuilding and remodelling of a medieval church on the site which served the hamlet of Santon. It is a parish in the county of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The neighboring large village of Santon Downham in Suffolk became the larger settlement of the village and has it's own parish church and prior to 1837 this parish was also in the Diocese of Norwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Thetford 1837-1935
- with Linford 1935-1938
- Wayland 1939-1974
Santon, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Santon, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
||1781-1797 (gaps)|| |
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held at the Family History Library.
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts. The parish is referred to as Santon House.
| Baptisms 1770, 1792-1802 Marriages 1800 Burials 1771, 1788-1797
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526806 Item 5
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438860.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Santon on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 15-20. Date accessed: 14 May 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.