Scotland Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 .
What is in the Collection?
This index is an electronic index for the years 1564 to 1950. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
There are no Scotland indexing projects currently, so this collection is not expected to change in the foreseeable future.
The index, Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950, is to be used as a tool to locate and view the original documents. The documents or records record more than what is found in the index.
Most of the names indexed within this collection are:
- Pre 1855 Church of Scotland Records
- Civil Registration 1855 to 1875
The remaining names indexed with in this collection are:
- Church of Scotland post 1855
- Denominations other than the Church of Scotland
The primary record classes, pre 1855 Church of Scotland and Civil Registration 1855 to 1875 are not to be considered complete; though, a high percentage of the records are in the index. (95% to 98%)
For details about the contents of these records and help using them see the wiki article Births and Christenings Vital Record Index Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records).
Upon finding a person in the index, the typical data one would expect to find is a Name, Date and Place. Two other relevant items are the:
- Indexing Project (Batch) Number: The hyperlinked batch number takes you to all those records in that batch which covers one parish for a particular number of years, so you can search just the records in that batch. (There is typically more than one batch number per parish) A website commonly referred to as Hugh Wallis IGI Batch Numbers is a site where you can view and search all the batch number for a Parish.
- IGI Batch Number Descriptions help one understand the meaning of the batch numbers. The batch number prefixes related to this collection are 'C' and "i"
- Source Film Number: The source film number refers to a microfilm of an orginal record from which the batches have been created. This is the record that may provide additional information not found in the index. Search the library catalogue using the film number, and if need be order the film through a Family History Center. Reading the hand writing may be a challenge.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Scotland's People. Subscription website (£) that includes Church of Scotland and Catholic parish registers, as well as Scotland civil registration records.
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Record citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950.|