Sessay, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Sessay, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Thirsk|
|Parish registers: 1612|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
Sessay St Cuthbert is an Ancient Parish which includes Hutton Sessay within the parish boundary.
The church of ST. CUTHBERT is modern, having been rebuilt on an old site in 1847–8 and restored in 1883. It consists of a chancel measuring internally 18 ft. 6 in. by 17 ft. 2 in., nave 45 ft. by 21 ft. 8 in. with a south aisle 10 ft. 7 in. wide, west tower 8 ft. square and a south porch.
In the centre of the chancel floor is a brass inscription to Master Thomas Magnus, Archdeacon of the East Riding, parson of the church, who died in 1550. Above is the figure of a priest in surplice, stole and a cope which has the word 'iesvs' on the morse. A scroll contains the prayer 'Jesu fili dei miserere mei.' A shield below the inscription contains the arms of Magnus: Bendy a fesse with a leopard passant between two cinquefoils thereon. In the chief are the words 'As God wyll' in black letter. In the corners of the stone are small brasses containing alternately the Paschal Lamb and a spray of columbine. The tiles on the floor of the chancel contain a D with a viscount's coronet and a shield of Dawnay impaling Bagot, apparently for William Henry seventh Viscount Downe (1846–57), who married Mary Isabel daughter of Richard Bagot, Bishop of Bath and Wells.
On the threshold of the porch is a slab containing the matrices of an inscription and a small figure.
In the churchyard are the stem and base of an old cross, with a restored top.
There are three bells, the tenor of which contains the inscription 'Laudationem loquetur os meum' in Lombardic characters. The second is inscribed 'Renovatur 1720 Thomas Dawney Armiger,' with a (reversed) shield of Dawnay, and in a foliated band below is the maker's name, E. Seller, Ebor. The treble bears the inscription ihc : edmund : darel : et : 1 : ux(or) : ei(us) : g : d : scs : cuthbertus.
The communion plate is modern, given by Viscount Downe in 1847, and consists of chalice, paten and flagon, all of silver-gilt.
The registers begin in 1612.
From A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1 (1914), pp. 446-449. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64783&strquery=Sessay Date accessed: 14 May 2011.
SESSAY (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Thirsk, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 6¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Easingwould.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online data content from chapelry registers of Sessay exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|ANC = ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org - free|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk - (£)|
|SESSAY PARISH (1600) Online Records|
|| 1777-1778, 1794-1900
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding **Chapelry** and comprising the whole ancient parish of Sessay to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the Sessay page.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes. This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in date.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the FamilySearch Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464227.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)pp. 48-51. Date accessed: 18 October 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.