Sheffield was chartered on October 25, 1793 by the Vermont Legislature. Sheffield Village was the only village established within the town of Sheffield. The population was 703 at the 2010 Census.  
Through hopes, and dreams, and evergreens : the two-hundred year history of Sheffield, by the Sheffield Historical Society (1993) - find this book in a library.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Sheffield is Caledonia
Caledonia Probate Division
1126 Main St, Ste 1
St Johnsbury, VT 05819
Phone: (802) 748-6605
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Sheffield. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Caledonia County, website at this link.
- Baptist Hill Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Cass-Heights Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Dexter Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Ingalls-Mosher Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Union House Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1868-2001, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Sheffield Town Clerk's Office. These include Births, deaths and marriages, v. 1-2, 1857-1896, Marriage records, 1883-1915; marriage index, 1793-1970, Records of births, 1897-1915, Records of death, 1897-1915, and Town records, 1740-1901.
Sheffield Town Clerk
37 Dane Road
P.O. Box 165
Sheffield, VT 05866
Phone: (802) 626-8862
Libraries and Historical Societies
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- About Sheffield, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/sheffield.html#about
- Sheffield, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/CaledoniaSheffield.html