Sheridan County, North Dakota Genealogy
Guide to Sheridan County, North Dakota ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
Sheridan County was organized on December 24, 1908. It was named after Civil War General Philip Henry Sheridan. McClusky is the county seat.
Sheridan County Courthouse
355 main St
PO Box 176
Forman, ND 58032
Sheridan County Website
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1943, marriage records from 1886, burial records from 1909, burial records from 1910 and military records from 191;
Register of Deeds has land records from 1909
Sheridan County, North Dakota Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The following are locations in the county
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- Early Sheridan County Businesses (Genealogy Trails)
- Odessa Digital Library has cemetery transcriptions for cemeteries in Sheridan County, providing name, date of birth, and date of death where available.
State Census Records
- 1885 Dakota Territory 1885 Census Index at NDSU Archives – index only
- 1885, 1915, 1925 North Dakota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1885, 1915, 1925 at Ancestry.com – ($), index and images
- 1915 North Dakota Census, 1915 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
- 1925 North Dakota Census, 1925 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for North Dakota starting in 1910. For links to Federal census indexes, see North Dakota Census.
- 1910 Index to Page Images, Sheridan County, North Dakota (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1920 Index to Page Images, Sheridan County, North Dakota (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1930 Index to Page Images, Sheridan County, North Dakota (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1930 Township Map, Sheridan County, North Dakota (USGenWeb Archives)
Church records can be found online, kept onsite at the church, or housed in a church archive or library. See North Dakota Church Records for more information on how to locate the records.
- Sheridan County Churches (Genealogy Trails)
- 1909 - Sheridan County Attorneys (USGenWeb Archives)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Land and Property Records
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages. For more information, see North Dakota Land and Property.
Online Land Records
- Index to Sheridan County BLM Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1861 - 1936 - U.S. Homestead Records 1861-1936 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
For more information see North Dakota Land and Property
Local histories, including those of the county, are available for Sheridan County. These histories can include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information.
- Sheridan County heritage '76 (North Dakota). 1976?. [McClusky, North Dakota] : McClusky Gazette. Online at: ; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- History of Pickardville (Genealogy Trails)
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of North Dakota - shows boundary changes for North Dakota Counties
- North Dakota Maps at NDGenWeb -historical maps
- 1861-1865 - Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.
- 1890 - United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.
World War I
- 1917-1918 - North Dakota Military Men 1917-1918 at Ancestry ($)
- 1917-1918 - Roster of the men and women who served in the army or naval service (including the Marine Corps) of the United States or its allies from the state of North Dakota in the World War, 1917-1918, Vols. 1-4 at Ancestry ($)
- World War I Casualties, Sheridan County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
World War II
- World War II Army Casualties, Sheridan County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- World War II Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Casualties, Sheridan County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- Korean War Casualties, Sheridan County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
- Vietnam War Casualties, Sheridan County, North Dakota (Genealogy Trails)
For further information see North Dakota Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Online Naturalization Indexes and Records
- North Dakota Naturalization Records Index at NDSU Archives – index only, covers various dates and counties
For more information see North Dakota Newspapers.
North Dakota Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of North Dakota newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some North Dakota newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
North Dakota Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
- State Historical Society of North Dakota - contains inventory and catalog of all known ND newspapers
- Sheridan County Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records, including wills and estates, are at the county clerk's office. See also North Dakota Probate Records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800 – 1985 North Dakota and South Dakota Wills and Probate Records 1800-1985 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Sheridan County Schools (Genealogy Trails)
County tax records are at the county treasurer's, auditor's or clerk's office in the county courthouse. Some tax records may have been moved to the North Dakota State Archives.
Birth, marriage, death, and divorce records may be recorded on registers, certificates, or other documents at the county clerk's office. Many records are also being digitized and put online. See North Dakota Vital Records for more information about availability and how to access them.
- Sheridan County Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
Online Death Indexes and Records
- 1892-present - NDDH Public Death Index, 1892-present at North Dakota Dept. of Health – index only
- Sheridan County Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
North Dakota State University Archives
West Building 3551 7th Avenue
N Fargo, ND 58102
Libraries NDSU Dept #2080
PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Pioneer Historical Society for Sheridan County
609 Frank Street West
Goodrich, ND 58444
- Sheridan County, North Dakota, USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Sheridan County, North Dakota, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records.
- Sheridan County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Sheridan County Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Sheridan County, North Dakota, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Sheridan County, North Dakota, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sheridan County, North Dakota. Page 526 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sheridan County, North Dakota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Boundary Changes