Shiver's Company, South Carolina Local Defense Troops
Shiver's Company was mustered in at Columbia on 6 Nov 1861. Per Special Order No. 52, A&IGO, 6 Mar 1862, "XI. Capt. Shiver's Co. enlisted for the purpose of guarding prisoners at Columbia, S.C., is hereby discharged from the service of the C.S. and will be forthwith mustered out of service." These undoubtedly are those POWs sent from Richmond to Columbia and were housed in the Richland County Jail .
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit  .
This is a company of the South Carolina Local Defense Troops
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
This company was from Richland.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Shiver's Company Richland County, (accessed 2 Apr 2011). Roster.
- Shiver's Company Richland County (accessed 5 Apr 2011).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).