Shotesham St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy
|Shotesham St Mary, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Henstead|
|Parish registers: 1538; Separate registers exist for Shotesham All Saints beginning 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691; Separate records exist for Shotesham All Saints beginning 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
SHOTESHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S.) from Norwich; containing, with Shotesham St. Botolph and St. Martin.  Its full name is Shotesham St May and St Botoph with St. Martin. (St Botolph and St Martin are in ruins.) It is also known as Low Shotesahm and Shottesham.
Also nearby is another parish called Shottesham All Saints.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Shotesham St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Shotesham St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Shotesham All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Shotesham All Saints Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1538-1811, 1813-1855||Undefined||1538-1901||Undefined||1538-1884|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 90-93. Date accessed: 03 June 2013.
- Pat Newby, "Norfolk: Shotesham St Mary", GenUKI
- Pat Newby, Norfolk: Shotesham All Saints, GenUKI
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.