Sidestrand, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
SIDESTRAND (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Cromer. 
Sidestrand St Michael is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The name Sidestrand is thought to derive from the old English word Sid, meaning Broad or spacious and the Danish Strond for Shore. The area is forever immortalised as Poppyland due to the writing about the area by Victorian Journalist Clement Scott
The church of Sidestrand, St Michael, is one of 124 existing round-tower churches in Norfolk. Much of its material comes from an earlier church that became too close to the cliff. The earlier church was demolished, apart from the tower which was left as a landmark. The tower and graveyard became known as "The Garden of Sleep" - after Clement Scott's poem.
See web links for the poem and creation of Poppyland and history of Clement Scott.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: email@example.com
Sidestrand, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Sidestrand, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
| Baptisms 1726-1812 Marriages 1725-1811 Burials 1727-1811
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526816 Item 20
Records of a Norfolk Village by Christobel Mary Hood ; Contains transcript of parish registers from 1558-1858. This book was digitized by Google and is held by the University of Michigan Library.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438853.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Curties. E.A. The Curties Family of Norfolk. History and family tree of Robert Curtes and Prudence Gascoyne, with the following surnames, Barker, Boldney, Leman, Creasey, Doughty, Parker, Paul, Titsell, Smith, Topps, Hutton, Lake, Howard, Summere, Sturt, Bailey, Loynes, Mattewson, Rook. There is a descripiton of each of the family and their life, in many Norfolk Parishes. Brampton, Irstead, Aylsham, Sidestrand, Oxnead, Scottow, Trimingham, North Walsham, and Swofield. Article dates are 1556-1945, and is found in The Norfok Ancestor, old series, vol. 2,pt2 page 17-22, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j old series, v2. pt. 2
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Sidestrand on GenUKI
- Sidestrand St Michael on A Church Near You
- for history of the "Poppyland" author
- Church of St Michael Sidestrand on British Listed buildings
- Sidestrand on Norfolk Churches
- for the oriigin of Poppyland and the poem "The Garden of Sleep"
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 104-107. Date accessed: 03 June 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.