Sogn og Fjordane (help·info) is a county in Norway, bordering Møre og Romsdal, Oppland, Buskerud, and Hordaland. It is mainly a rural area with a scattered population. Sogn og Fjordane includes the largest glacier in mainland Norway, Jostedalsbreen, in the Breheimen mountain range, and the deepest lake, Hornindalsvatnet. There are also many famous waterfalls located in the area. Ramnefjellsfossen (previously called Utigardfossen) is the tallest in Norway and third tallest in the world and Vettisfossen is one of Norway's highest waterfalls (with a vertical drop of 275 meters). Both are located in the Jotunheim mountains. Cruise ships visit Sogn og Fjordane all summer because of the unique vistas of high mountains and deep blue fjords.
Family History Resources
County Archives database search page for Sogn og Fjordane County
Government Offices and Sites
Cities, Parishes and Clerical Districts in Sogn og Fjordane County
Church Records/Civil Registration
- These are the most important records you will use, and a majority of your research will be found in them. All civil registration was kept by the church parishes until 2012.
- By clicking on the parish links above, you may find direct links to all the records for that parish.
- You do not have to be fluent in Norwegian. These records use a very limited, specialized vocabulary that is easy to learn. For help reading and interpreting theses records, see Norwegian Genealogical Word List, Norway Handwriting, and Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records Lessons 1: Scandinavian Gothic Letters, 2: Names, Words, and Dates, and 3: Handwritten Records.
- Parish Register Headings for Norway: This pdf gives the translation of headings for the records in different time periods. When a record is written with labeled columns it is much easier to search. Much of the material you read in each column will just be names and dates, since the meaning of those names (child, parents, godparents, minister) only has to be read once, in the column heading.
- Sogn prosti, Manntall 23, 1664 - 1666
- Sunnfjord prosti, Manntall 24, 1664 - 1666
- Nordfjord prosti, Prestemanntall 25, 1664 - 1666
- Hardanger len, Indre Sogn fogderi, Ytre Sogn fogderi, Fogdemanntall 14, 1664 - 1665 (Parishes in Hardanger len belongs to Hordaland county)
- Sunnfjord fogderi, Nordfjord fogderi., Fogdemanntall 15, 1664
- Ytre og Indre Sogn fogderi, Manntall 8, 1701
- Sunnfjord og Nordfjord fogderi, Svanø birk, Manntall 9, 1701
Tingbok for sorenskrivaren i Indre Sogn 1703
1886 and 1838 land registers are found at The Norwegian Historical Data Centre. These are Excel files, which can be downloaded. The give the name of the farm, the farm owner, and the amount of tax. Both farms and sub-farms are included.
| *Hordaland county
|| *Bergen City
|| *Sogn og Fjordane county
|| *Møre og Romsdal county
Records include probates of priests, parish clerks, schoolteachers and their widows.
Return to Norway Page