Solano County, California Genealogy
|Solano County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1850|
|Address|| Solano County Courthouse|
701 Texas Street
Fairfield, CA 94533
Solano County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 County Courthouse
- 4 Parent County
- 5 Places/Localities
- 6 Resources
- 7 Bible Records
- 8 Biography
- 9 Cemeteries
- 10 Census
- 11 Church History and Records
- 12 Court Records
- 13 Crime and Criminals
- 14 Directories
- 15 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 16 Gazetteers
- 17 Genealogy
- 18 History
- 19 Land and Property
- 20 Maps
- 21 Migration
- 22 Military History and Records
- 23 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 24 Newspapers
- 25 Obituaries
- 26 Periodicals
- 27 Probate Records
- 28 Repositories
- 29 Societies
- 30 Taxation
- 31 Vital Records
- 32 Voting Registers
- 33 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 34 Web Sites
- 35 References
Solano County, California Record Dates
County Recorder has birth, marriage, death and land records
County Clerk has divorce, probate and court records from 1850.
18 February 1850: Solano County was created as an original county. County seat: Fairfield 
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See California Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Solano County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Solano County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Solano History Database is an online, interactive database containing historical articles, photos, books, and other content relating to the history of Solano County, CA. The Vacaville Heritage Council updates this site on a regular basis.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
Regiments. Service men in Solano County, California Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Solano County, California Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company C
- - 3rd Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company E
- - 3rd Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company F
- - 3rd Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company G
- - 3rd Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company H
- - 5th Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company I
- - 8th Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company I
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Solano County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Solano - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Fairfield California Family History Center
- Vacaville California Family History Center
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Genealogical Society of Vallejo-Benicia
734 Marin Street
Vallejo, CA 94590
Solano County Historical Society
P.O. Box 922
Solano County Genealogical Society
P O Box 2494
Fairfield, CA 94533
Phone: (707) 446-6869
Solano Historical Society
PO Box 3009
Fairfield, CA 94533-0309
- Solano County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Solano County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Solano County, California. Page 87At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).