South Bend Indiana Family History Center
Center Contacts and Hours
930 Park Place
Mishawaka, IN 46545
The entrance to the Family History Center is located on the southeast side of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Meetinghouse
- Tuesday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- All holidays
- December 24th-January 1st
- When surrounding schools are closed due to weather the Family History Center will also be closed.
- FamilySearch Catalog: The FHC has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog from Salt Lake Library distribution. There are over 1900 films and about 1,000 fiche in our collection.
There is a $7.50 charge to cover the shipping to and from our FHC. This allows patrons to view the film for 90 days. If 90 days is not enough time, the film can be renewed for an additional 60 days for another $7.50. To have the microfilm for an extended loan with no defined return date, the cost is $16.50, and remains in the FHC microfilm collection.
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to Premium Family History software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, such as:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War:
Research Database | Letters and Diaries | Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera
- Find My Past
- Fold3.com (Previously known as Footnote.com)
- The Genealogist
- Genline FamilyFinder*.
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
- Hardware and Equipment: There are three computers with access to the above sites with the ability to print or save to a flash drive. There are five film readers along with one Cannon Scanner that scans documents on any of the films. There is a one hour time limit on the Cannon Scanner, to allow more patrons use of it.
Staff Research Specialties
There are consultants who specialize in Hungary, Poland, Germany, and England research. We also have a consultant who is very good searching Military Records. Once you have an initial contact with them, you can set up appointments with them at no charge.
Resources in the Local Area
The Mishawaka Penn Harris Public Library, located at 209 Lincoln Way East, Mishawaka, (574) 259-5277, with branches at: 602 Bittersweet Rd, Mishawaka (574) 259-0392, and 51446 Elm Rd. Granger, Phone: (574) 271-3179.
The St.Joseph County Public Library, 304 South Main St.South Bend, IN, Phone: (574) 282-4621
The Allen County Public Library, in Ft. Wayne, IN, Phone: (260) 421-1200
Volunteer at the Center
Anyone can be a volunteer at our Family History Center. You don't have to be an expert at doing research or on how to use a computer. We would be glad to have anyone who has a couple of hours during any of the days we are open.