South Carolina, Confederate Home Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
South Carolina, Confederate Home Records, 1909-1958 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|South Carolina, United States|
|Flag of South Carolina|
|Location of South Carolina|
|Record Type||Confederate Home Records|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Can this Collection Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing this Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?
This collection contains images of application folders to Confederate veterans who were inmates of the South Carolina Confederate Home in Columbia. Originals are located at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History. This collection includes records from 1909-1958.
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for South Carolina, Confederate Home Records, 1909-1958.|
What Can this Collection Tell Me?
The records may contain any of the following:
- Birth date and place
- Names and residences of spouse and children, if any
- Residence at time of application
- Parent's names
- Details of military service
- Financial condition
- Physical condition
- Death date and place
- Age at time of death
- Cause of death
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor.
- The approximate age or birth date of your ancestor.
- The place where your ancestor lived.
- The names of family members and their relationships.
Search by Name by visiting the Collection Page:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search pages. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "Surname Range" category which will take you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at South Carolina, Confederate Home Records, 1909-1958. Click on camera icon to see images.|
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor in the Confederate Home Records, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as a title, an occupation, or land ownership. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- Use the residence to search for census records.
- Use the spouse's name to search for marriage records.
- Use the name and service information to obtain all military records.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also search for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Search the records of other soldier homes.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "South Carolina, Confederate Home Records, 1909-1958." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. South Carolina Confederate Home, Columbia, SC.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.