Southtown, Suffolk Genealogy
|Hundred||Mutford and Lothingland|
|Poor Law Union||Yarmouth|
|Parish registers: 1897; For more records see Gorleston|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Record Office|
SOUTHTOWN, anciently a parish, but now commonly considered a hamlet in the parish of Gorleston, locally in the hundred of Mutfrod and Lothingland, E. division of Suffolk. This place was formerly called Little Yarmouth, and is a suburb to Great Yarmouth.
Southtown St Mary is an ecclesiastical parish within the Diocese of Norwich and the county of Suffolk. Southtown St Mary became a chapelry to Gorleston in 1511. Gorleston was united with the hamlet of Southtown, whose parish church of St Mary was demolished in 1548, the stone being used to build a pier.
A subsequent chapel of ease to Gorleston which later became a parish.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474640.
Poor Law Unions
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Yarmouth/Yarmouth.shtml
Maps and Gazetteers
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 149-152. Date accessed: 09 October 2013.